• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The draw that broke the camels back...

Son of a Gun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4-cylinder
Transmission
Manual
So I was replacing my timing belt on my 88 2.3, (That ya'll were also helping me with...) and a new problem has presented itself in the midst of that. My battery appears to have something drawing it badly. Battery has never been a problem before in fact I've left lights or radio on for hours and hours and she starts right up. So I have to belive I did something to effect it in my belt swapping endevours. I don't know what I would have done because the only "electrical related" thing I would have done is unhooked the battery and unhooked spark plugs and destributor cap. I had the charger on it all night and even with the charger on a "boost" mode it wouldn't start. just the clicking.Plus when It arced good when I put the positive terminal back on. But I cant get it to turnover at all. Do I go through the ammeter check for a parastitic battery? I mean, I have to belive it's shorting before it gets to the starter. I don't know what I could have bumped or messed up while doing the other job though. Ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a volt meter?

Battery voltage for new battery is 12.8v holds 100% charge
5 years old it will be about 12.3v holds 70% charge

12.2v 60% charge and time to shop for battery sale

Also with battery disconnected hook up volt meter and watch it, if it is slowly dropping then one of the 6 cells in the battery has a short, this is usually what ends a batteries life.
So the battery will self discharge just sitting there, not hooked up to anything.

Check alternator wiring, that's a direct hook up to battery, and near where you were working.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm thinking alternator area as well. That's one of the biggest draws on the system, keeping the field coil engaged. It can kill a fully charged battery in under 4 hours.

Son of a Gun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4-cylinder
Transmission
Manual
Well like I said I switched battery and even tried starting it with the booster on with no luck. So I think a short is more likely than just a steady draw. But I don't know where to start looking.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals