• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken automatic hub cam assembly

SuprchgredSi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

I have a 1996 Ranger 4WD and I've been having some vibration issues on my passenger side tire. I took apart the whole hub and rotor assembly and found that my hub had started to crack and the spindle nut had all of its threads completely sheared off so it was just sliding around in the hub. This also caused the cam assembly to get damaged beyond repair and I can't seem to find any online that are readily available.

I don't use 4WD at all, so my main question is would there be any issues if I put the whole assembly back together with a new spindle nut and hub, but without the cam assembly? I don't really feel like converting over to the manual hub unless absolutely necessary since I don't use 4WD.

Thanks,
Jimmy

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it's OK because a new WB adjusting (ie, spindle) nut would hold the wheel bearings in place, and the locking pin would prevent that nut from loosening, and the hub itself holds the rotor & wheel-rim in place, and the C-clip (plus its 2 washers) prevent your axle shaft from shifting in/out. That's all you need.

The only issue would be dirt getting inside through the crack in your broken auto hub casing.

Have you searched ebay? Or craigslist? Or local JY?

SuprchgredSi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! I looked on ebay and craigslist with no luck. Haven't looked around here at junkyards yet. I had to get a new mile marker hub since the old one was cracked, which allows for the manual locking conversion. Would it be worth it to buy the manual locking conversion kit and install it, but never engage the 4WD? This would keep the dirt out and should still work the same as before.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just because it isn't listed on eBay doesn't mean it isn't there, it MAY be there. Find guys listing parts for a similar vehicle and send them a question about YOUR NEEDS. Do this to 8 or 10 listings and you will find the part you need.
Big Jim

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Does the Jeep D 35 stuff interchange? I would imagine they must to some extent. :D

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Are you sure about the D 28? The Rat is a 94 and it has a D 35.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals