• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'88 Ranger 4x4

mikey57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My 1988 Ranger is in the shop now, but the mechanic is as stumped as I am. After spending $170 on a used wiring harness, my mechanic removed all the wiring from under the hood (engine harness) and replaced it with the used wiring harness. The trouble with that is the harness I bought was for an automatic and my truck is a 5 speed. He cannot seem to figure out which wire on the new harness would connect to the safety switch for the clutch, therefore the truck will not turn over, but when the key is placed in the run position the lights on the dash seem to be working. Can anyone that may have had the same problem help with leads on how to make this harness work.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Can't he just ground out the wire (sending the signal back to the computer) to trick the computer to thinking the clutch is pushed in?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, he can by pass the NSS(neutral safety switch) OR even better run the wires to the clutch switch so it is enabled.

For '88 wiring there will be a Red/light Blue stripe wire on the NSS connector, that has the 12volts when Key is in START position.
On the same connector will be a White/Pink stripe wire, this is the wire that goes to Starter Relay "S" connector AND to TFI module Start.

When automatic is in Park or Neutral the Red/light Blue stripe wire and White/Pink stripe wire are connected, so if you turn the key to START then the 12 volts passes to starter relay and ignition
If you just connect these wires together it will start, if you hook these wires to clutch switch(run two new wires) it will only start with clutch pedal down.

Wiring diagram here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_StartIgnition83to882_9.JPG

The NSS connector also has the Reverse lights connection: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_backuplights.JPG

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Automatics had the clutch position switch connector, they changed them over the years though so it would depend on if it would connect to your pedal switch.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are two circuits that are different between the automatics and the manuals. I've included some diagrams from the Helm EVTM manual for the '88 that shows the differences between them.

The 88's had the Clutch Interlock connector in all the harnesses, but the automatics had a jumper installed in that connector, instead of going to the switch. You should be able to pull the jumper (at connector C190) and plug the harness into the clutch switch. (see page 27 below) The connector you want has two red/light blue wires running to it. You also should snip the white/pink wire at splice S120 (don't clip it at the ECU end, you'll need it elsewhere!) and jumper or splice the wires for the Neutral Safety Switch.

That white/pink wire ran to pin 30 on the ECU, and is wired up two different ways depending on if it's a manual or an automatic, as shown on page 38 below. The manual used a white/black wire, but you can re-purpose that white/pink wire from before, to do exactly the same thing. It needs to run to Clutch Engage Switch on the clutch pedal and the Neutral Sense Switch in the transmission. You'll probably need to salvage some parts from the old harness to complete this circuit. Hopefully your mechanic did a good job removing it, and didn't just chop everything to pieces.

Note that the Clutch Interlock Switch and the Clutch Engage Switch are both part of the same switch assembly on the clutch pedal shaft. The cruise control switch is also in there, as well.

Let me know if the images don't work for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals