• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pump Test

6herald6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think the fuel pump on my '05, 3.0l Ranger is dead but I want to make sure before I drop the tank. With the key on I opened the connector under the truck and measured the pin that has the blk/pnk wire (Haynes) and measured 0 volts. The fuel pump fuse and relay are good. Could the inertia switch be at fault, as suggested by Haynes? Should I hot-wire the fuel pump to see if it runs?

Thanks for any help.

Fred

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check the inertial switch, and then try load testing the wires to the pump. Also check the voltage with a lead run straight to ground at the battery. You might have a ground wire issue.

6herald6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In the mean time I removed the inertia switch and noticed immediately the connector was melted and cracked. Checking for continuity on the switch it appears to be open. Or maybe my method might be at fault. I connected my leads across both outside terminals and measured open when the switch was depressed or not. There is a middle terminal I believe is either ground or just a guide terminal. I also measured the voltage of the grn/yel wire at the inertia switch and measured only 5 volts. I thought this should be close to the bat. voltage even though the bat. is at 11 volts now. Should the voltage at the inertia switch be at the bat. level? At this point it looks like I need to replace the inertia switch and connector. I hope. It sure beats dropping the gas tank!

Fred

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals