Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
jammert609@yahoo.com

Vehicle Year: 84/89
Vehicle Make: Ford Chevy
Vehicle Model: Ranger S-10
I use this vehicle for: mudding,Hauling scrap medal,pulling hondas off the road side.
jammert609@yahoo.com will become famous soon enough
Default worth the fix or not/ what to expect on blown engine block?

I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit an it isnt worth the time to fix it an i should sell it but im not going to.Ive forked to much money into it to sell because i couldnt get back what ive got in it .I like my ford ranger.What should i do that wil be not real time consuming that i can do under 150 bucks...Also what should i expect if my engine block is blown? does anyone have any pics i could use to reference from..
jammert609@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

Just poke a used engine in it.

I don't think 110hp is worth sinking a bunch of money into (rebuilding)

Build Thread

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
jammert609@yahoo.com

Vehicle Year: 84/89
Vehicle Make: Ford Chevy
Vehicle Model: Ranger S-10
I use this vehicle for: mudding,Hauling scrap medal,pulling hondas off the road side.
jammert609@yahoo.com will become famous soon enough

Most the money i forked into it was the suspenchion an the front brakes when they locked up. id say altogether my dad an i put about 500 bucks into it...I am thinking hard on swaping another engine in but im being told dont waste time...I am going to do no matter what is said
jammert609@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go to the local Pick-N-Pull, or whatever you've got, and pull a good motor for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Legend

Vehicle Year: 2011
Vehicle Model: Lariat+ SCREW MaxTow Red Candy Met.
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
Legend will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Legend

Quote:
What should i do that wil be not real time consuming that i can do under 150 bucks.
The city bus here is $1 per ride - round trip. That would get you to and from work / school for about 6 months. A better investment perhaps.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
shane96ranger

shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

150 dollars is a pretty light budget. This type of thing is something you can't put a cap on.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
bilzy7

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Explorer
I use this vehicle for: daily driving, fun in the snow
bilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of lightbilzy7 is a glorious beacon of light

Ya I've looked into swapping a 5.0 with over 4k at one point and walked away. One I don't have the time, it can be done for under a thousand I guess if you do it all yourself. But you better be good with engine wiring/splicing, installing everything and alrdy have the tools and time to dedicate to it. I don't have the time nor a second vehicle. Just do some research, you could go 4.0 and get a strong running truck, don't have to go v8.

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=103611 <--- My Slow Build
bilzy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
shane96ranger

Quote:
This is DAMN NEAR worth putting in a sig

Quote:
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

A $150 budget even to drop a replacement engine in is pretty tight. You get into broken or damaged hardware, and once the engine is paid for and all the broken or damaged parts are replaced, adds up quick.

I'm putting a rebuilt 2.9 in my truck, and not doing much for mods along the way. I have $900 in the engine, and over $400 dollars in other misc parts.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

When people ask me "what's wrong with you?" I ask them "where would you like me to start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sowell
If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization then be prepared to accept barabrism.

Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
RustedRanger

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Everyday driver
RustedRanger will become famous soon enough

I have thought something similar to this....my 87 cost $500 and I put that much at least in it to get it going good but I reached the point that I'm not putting any more money in it unless I have to other then to keep it running good,like changing the oil. I think if I decided to stay with a Ranger I would find one that I could reuse the parts I have replaced on this one so the investment I have is not lost. There are plenty of Rangers sitting around out there.
RustedRanger is offline   Reply With Quote