• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Foamy brake fluid... Getting pissed!

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
So i lifted my 1990 b2 yesterday and the brakes were perfect before. But i had to disconnect the brake lines from the calipers to get the spacers in and then i put it all back together and bled it, but i keep bleeding it but the fluid keeps coming out foamy like beer and the brakes are staying spongy. The drivers side bled solid but the passenger side is still foamy and isnt getting any better. What am i doing wrong?

Sent from my LGLS885 using Tapatalk

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Also I had someone pump the brake 3 times and hold while i bled. Jus like ive always been told

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't tell exactly what you have wrong, but when bleeding start with furthest bleeder from the master cylinder. If doing all 4, that would normally go pass rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front.

Are you sure that everything you loosened was tightened back up good? Are the hoses old? Is it possible that it might have cracked while you were working on it allowing a little air into the system?

When you reconnected the line, did you gravity bleed the system before pressure bleeding it? If not you might want to try that, could be a lot of air trapped in the system. There is a lot more distance in the passenger side, so a lot more room for air to be trapped in the system.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It sounds like something isn't tight enough. Fill the reservoir, start the engine, the pump the pedal slowly, see if you can find a leak.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
How do you gravaity bleed the lines? And everything is tight and hoses are good.. And im only bleeding the front brakes.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Leaks can hind from you, air getting in but nothing getting out. I'd do as ADSM suggested first, so you aren't wasting more time trying to bleed when there is another problem.

Did you use new new crush washers when you reattached the line to the caliper? You may get lucky re-using them, but new ones are recommended because old ones don't seal as well.

For gravity bleed, Google is your friend. Google can describe the process better than I can. Here's a decent video I found of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVq7sAFJTpI

Basically top off your reservoir, then open the bleeder screw and let it flow until you have a nice clean fluid flow coming out. While doing this make sure that your reservoir does not run low, if it does you'll have to start over. Once you have a steady air free flow of fluid, close the bleeder screw. Guy in video says that you can do more than one at a time, but I don't recommend it, easier to empty the master that way. I do gravity then pressure bleed when I have to open the system. It's overkill, but it works.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
GOT IT! i gravity bled it then i went out and bought a mityvac and bled the brakes myself there was a couple sticky air bubbles. But now everything is back to normal. Thanks guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals