• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pulling power/no sagging

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 99 ranger that is going to have a 302 in it next week and i want to be able to pull more without it sagging what could i do? different leaf springs or add more leaf springs then just crank my torsion bars?

mud390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You could use an Add A Leaf setup, but then the rear will be higher all the time. If you tow frequently, a load leveling air bag setup would be a nice way to go. Infinitely adjustable and equalization. How much and what are you planning to tow?

Kris

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
i pull a 25' boat almost every weekend or my ice shack which is 18' that usually has my four wheeler in it, also i pull project cars to our shop roughly 20 miles away and it squats pretty good now but if i did a add a leaf id crank the torsion bars so that it would sit more level but then again i was lookin at doin a SAS with coil overs then swapin the 3.0 to a 5.0 or a 351w with the 5.0 tranny or a c4 tranny then conversion to a manual 4x4 for more towing power as well

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with all that, i'd do the add-a-leaf. i'd also put on the air bags for those times when you have more weight in the bed in addition to the trailer weight.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Or just buy a fullsize and not screw around with it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...i was lookin at doin a SAS with coil overs then swapin the 3.0 to a 5.0 or a 351w with the 5.0 tranny or a c4 tranny then conversion to a manual 4x4 for more towing power as well
In your first post you said you were going to have a 302 in it next week.

All of these things you are planning are A) unneccesary and B) very damned difficult.

It's like doing elective heart surgery. Say you don't like the color of the interior walls of your left ventrical. You are risking the life of your truck for something that, even if successful, may make your truck WORSE!

Would you let someone that doesn't know what they are doing perform major surgery on your truck?

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
just gunna start to pull the 3.0 next week then try to put that in by 2 weeks and according to the tech library the 5.0 is damn easy to put in sorry im a fan of lots of power and i dont want a fullsize truck

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What is the motor out of?

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
a 99 explorer xlt and im going to get a 99 electric shift transfer case out of a f-150 so i can keep the optional 4x4 then depending on how that all goes i may wire the electric shift to my switch if not ill do a manual 4x4

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
If you are looking to maintain the current ride quality the an airbag assist kit is the way to go. When not in use a minimal air pressure is maintained in the bag to keep it inflated and stop self inflicted damage. Whe you are going to put a load on you air up and then connect. Check out the kits from Airlift. Ihave personally used the coil spring bags for my minvan and was extremely pleased, it kept my ride normal for everyday and when I dropped the 250 - 300lb tongue weight popup on they would keep the rear at or just above stock on 30PSI.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals