• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stroked 347 302 short block

NastyZ06

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah. Stay away from the ford alphabet cams. There are way better cams then those outdated cams. Trickflow stage one is one of the best off the shelf cams for 302s. Stage 2 is good for 331 or 347.

NastyZ06

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
woot found my heads got me some 351 cleveland heads getting them ported and new valves got the heads for 50 bucks our of an old ford in a guys pasture lol, and I now have Z-303 cam forged roush pistons with a .030 over bore, with clevite pro comp main bearings, my next step is getting my Lunnatti forged roller rockers, and 1.7 mm stainless steel push rods feral-mogul's,an MSD or Mallory ignition wich ever is the better deal,and a new intake, not sure on my intake yet havent decided and for the sound going with hooker comp headers with dumps and a borla cat back, that should get me at least 350 rwhp fairly easily, and have some new pics of the work that has been done so far still have a ways to go yet.
You aren't even gonna be close to 350rwhp with those heads and either of those cams. Won't be able to make 350rwhp on a 302 even if you had gone with good heads and cam or even the best heads and cam. PM me if you want any help with finding a good setup for what your looking for.

And I'm not trying to hate....just want you to be realistic. Most guys have a hard time making 350rwhp even with a stroked 302 and top notch heads and custom cams unless they are running 12:1 + compression

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
and thanks for recomending the trick flow I kinda like that and can find some of the parts fairly decent prices used.oh and the dyno was'nt 275 it was 250 my bad. is a 250 rwhp 302 a pretty decent?

Last edited:

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
well this really sucks one of my heads was no good and the other the machinist dropped and messed it up, and to top it all off I burned up my polishing gun, now i gotta go and get another 1 to finish polishing my water pump and my timing chain cover, lmao if its not 1 thing its always something else.But at least he is paying me back more than what I paid for them.

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
ok guess I posted to soon cause my day just got better! was able to find replacement heads which will soon be on the way, Thanks to TRS member Mentalbreakdown00, and to put the icing on das cake! I just bought a perfect mechanical running condition Pontiac firebird with the 6 spd trans for 300 bucks, the down side is need to finnish filing for a mechanics lien for the title and have to replace the front core support,hood,and front pass fender, not to bad for a good parts car and to make a bad day good. hehe.

Last edited:

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
that old block was an old 302 that some 1 had put a crank and the heads from the C in it, and the pistons were smaller than mine by a noticeable amount and in realy bad shape, so aint worth getting it.

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
finally finished polishing my water pump today! pics should be posted.

TS6034

September 2009 STOM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah. Stay away from the ford alphabet cams. There are way better cams then those outdated cams. Trickflow stage one is one of the best off the shelf cams for 302s. Stage 2 is good for 331 or 347.
As if the alphabet cams are incapable of making an engine run because they're old. Lol. If you have one, run it! The difference the trickflow would make performance wise isn't worth the cost unless you need to buy a new cam anyways.

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
ty for the tip TS6034, I have decided to keep the 303 in something as light as an ranger dont realy need a whole lot, and love the lope this one makes, still waiting on my clevo's to get here they should be here any day now. but I sho would love to have me some aussies tho. any1 got any they wanna get rid of? lol

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the aussie heads are not a lot better than our other than the fact of the closed chambers on both2 bbl and 4 bbl heads, which I now have a set of 4 bbl americans i picked up, literally was in a guys garage, and he said if you want em have em, but you have to take the block, cam in the box, heads, crank, the whole thing was there.....

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
ahh I was wondering about the aussie heads, if they aint much better than what I got then I dont really need or want them.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the aussie heads in 2bbl form are only better due to smaller chambers, flow numbers are almost identical. Now aftermarket aussie heads on the other hand, a completely different animal.

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
hmm I can see you know it is I am wanting then dont ya, and yea the after markets are the ones I was refering to but the stock ones and the clevos we have is was I was wondering about so they arent to much different. I acually thought that all the aussie heads were an after market. didnt even think they had a stock version.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what happened here with the cleveland was the opposite in aussie where clevelands rule for ford v8's yes there are production 2 and 4bbl heads over there also

Mafusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
chevy
Engine Size
383 ci 425+ bhp.
Transmission
Automatic
cool now that I know that I will be the wiser. but still cant wait to get these heads done and mounted. just saving up enough cash to have the work done. will post pic's when it stops raining.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals