• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame Collapsed While Towing on 2000 4x4

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
My boss has a 2000 model 4x4 Off-Road 4.0 ext cab.
It has a level III reciever hitch (square tube)
mounted to frame.

Today we hooked it to a hay bailor to bring it to field, and I said hey "donny" (a guy I work with.... :annoyed:) is it me or is the reciever bent.
he replies "well i seen it the other day when I was pulling the hay wagon you were riding, but didn't think nothin of it :icon_surprised:)

anyways, I crawled under, and the rear bolts in the frame were used as a pivot point, and the front (towards the cab) bolts have torqued up and collapsed the frame C chanel (i believe its a c there)

anybody experience this? anybody have any ideas to fix it........
we are prolly going to take it to a local machine shop and have em :icon_welder: it, but I want to make it safe for me the next time I am pulling an ANNHYDROUS wagon that could kill me, and wipe out a mile of onlookers.

Frank

btw: I'm a farmer.

RichD

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Frank I'd be more concerned on how it got damaged to start with? Your boss hook it up to something real heavy? I'd pull the class III and then have a body shop straighten the frame where it bent and weld in some reenforcement plating and then buy a top quality hitch.

BTW-farmer too.....watch your a$$ around that Anhydrous wagon...lol

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Oh yeah......... we tow/pull the hell out of it. anny wagons..... hay wagons, water for cattle.

(tongue weight would be what got it to torque up like this though) I'm guessing the hay on a 16 foot dual axle did it, I'd figure it happened toward the end of the field when all the hay would be stacked on the very front of the trailor to put enough downward force on it......... and then a small ditch or something to finish it off.
though the tongue weight on the hay bailor was pushing a grand I'm sure.

Knowing my boss...... we'll probably end up using a metal working tip on the Oxy Acetylene....... bending it best we can and getting a machine shop to weld in a ton of reinforcements.

I just never imagined this would happen.... I didn't know if there was a proper step by step to clearing this up or not... because "my safety" is my first concern.

a body shop may be a good idea (if we can find a decent one) but that may cost more than whats left of the truck is worth.

Frank

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those anhydrous tanks are heavy, dunno what kind of hay cart you have but they can get really heavy too. Usually neither have trailer brakes, so when you try to stop they push the back of your truck... a big trailer on a weaker truck could very well bend the frame by just trying to stop with no trailer brakes. I have watched some idiot in a 1500 Silverado get pushed halfway thru an intersection he didn't plan for by two anhydrous tanks... it was all he could do to keep the thing from jack knifing in two places.

Both can be more than a load for a half ton, let alone a Ranger.

If the bend is after the springs try to bend it back and maybe try to reinforce it (it is now weakened there) if it is between the wheels it needs to go to a frame shop and get straightened.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Need a bigger hitch that extends further forward. I have this one, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame. It's about 70# compared to 20# for a Ranger Class 3. It's about $300. Give it to them when they fix the truck and have them narrow it to fit a Ranger.

You can see it uses 4 pairs of 9/16" bolts instead of three pairs of 1/2". It extends much further forward to support the truck frame, and it has a flange along the bottom--and it's thicker by far.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I definantly like that much better!!!!

We'll be taking it to a proffessional welding shop, (same that does our metal fatigue projects on implements)
I will be logging on tomorrow to show him on my bosses fancy computer phone, lol.

Frank

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive NEVER seen a frame give out. Never.

Id like to shake his hand.

later,
Dustin

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snap a pic of that frame and post it if u can

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Is this like the wagons you are using?

There shouldn't be much if any of the load transferred to the tounge. That's the purpose of the spread axles like that.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
He said It was a 16 ft tandem axle I believe and that puts alot of weight directly on the hitch, Now if you made the frame out of 2x6 solid stock I dont think you would have an issue anymore LOL

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plow truck failure isn't uncommon. I've bought two that were already broken.

I used to cut wood along fence rows. Fields are rough and it's probably the pounding and jerking and not the tongue weight. I broke a trailer frame pounding across a field with way too much weight on it. But if you slow down, you're humping a mile for a tractor to come get you.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Plow truck failure isn't uncommon. I've bought two that were already broken.

I used to cut wood along fence rows. Fields are rough and it's probably the pounding and jerking and not the tongue weight. I broke a trailer frame pounding across a field with way too much weight on it. But if you slow down, you're humping a mile for a tractor to come get you.
Plowing is probely the single most hardest thing you can do to a truck/SUV. Personally, i think the only things that should be plowing are tractors....did the frame actually collaspe or did it just crack?

....depending on the trailer though, it probely wasnt quite a stout as a truck frame.

As far as the truck goes...I would venture to guess that you musta put an odd stress on it (like making it twist in weird ways). To actually Collapse/Crush a frame ive never seen happen (unless it was wrecked or jumped or any combination thereof) I have seen them crack.

later,
dustin

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would have to see it.

likely he backed into something or the truck was hit and no one told em.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Since Dustin hasn't ever seen it happen, it must be make-believe. :rolleyes:

He said It was a 16 ft tandem axle I believe and that puts alot of weight directly on the hitch,
Who puts hay on a tandem axle car-style trailer? :icon_confused: He called it a wagon, and every hay wagon I've seen around here (remember, we have a few farms here in IL) has been the dual spread axle wagons.

I think Will might be right, bouncing around through fields is more than likely the root cause of the problem. If you insist on using a 1/4T truck for this job, I'd be tempted to back-half it with some rectangular tubing. While I was back there, I'd fashion a DMI-style spring hitch under there too. Forget the rigid hitches, they're not meant for this application.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals