• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Max towing load with Ranger FX4 2008

Fredal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone,

I found that forum when looking for some informations about my towing capacity.

I currently have a 2008 Ranger FX4 with a 4.0L engine and a manual transmission.

I read in my book the automatic could tow max. 5600lbs, but the manual could only tow 3140lbs. Why that difference? I asked my dealer about that and he told me he never knew about that, that i wouln't have any problems towing at least 5000lbs, but I want to be sure about that...

We planned to buy a RV trailer, this is why I try to find the best answer before I buy. The trailer we are interested today is approx. 4200lbs without the water in the tanks, etc.

So, the 2 questions are: can I tow 5500lbs, and why should there be a so big difference of capacity between auto and manual trans.?

Thank you very much,

Steven

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Simple answer to the auto vs. manual towing difference is that 'most' light car/truck drivers do not know how to properly drive a manual and tow anything. The company is basically protecting themselves from having to replace blown clutches, axles, driveshafts, etc.

An auto does it all for you, it is easy to mess up when you have to handle the shifting yourself. The vehicles themselves can tow the 5600#, just the company is stating a reduced amount. That way if you break anything or get into an accident you cannot sue them and you are on the hook for everything.

Sucks but it's the way a litigious society is.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your saleman/person is kind of ignorant on that subject. Have him/her put in writting so you're covered, bet their mind changes real quick. Sure you probably could but I sure wouldn't make a practice of it. Going from 3140 to 5500 lbs is a bunch. Our dealer told us about the difference when we bought our F-150 way back in 1975 so it's like it's not new news. The other thing people forget about is the frontal area of the trailer is limited to 50 sq ft.
Dave

Fredal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
thanks about the information.

I asked that question because we'd like to buy a rv trailer. I was wondering if some people here experienced problems towing rv trailers with a ranger. I know I read in an other thread that somebody had problem because of the wind coming in front of the trailer. What are the possibilities that I can do to get the best experience as possible towing with my ranger? Is that a danger or is it not that bad? I was wondering if adding a cab on my box would help for the wind, but i'll get more weight on the truck.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

robbieo11

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
back when scrapping cars i rooled onto scales fully loaded out at 11050 lbs with a 93 sport 4x4

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I tow a 24 foot travel trailer weighing in at 4200lbs dry weight with my 05 sport trac with the 4.0L and 5r55e automatic. The sport trac is rated to tow 5200lbs with a weight distributing hitch.

It does it, but its not the best. The wind resistance that the front of the trailer creates kills your speed pretty quickly. Don't expect it to win any races or pull hills very quickly.

The auto is rated to tow more because of the torque converters ability to multiply torque for easier acceleration.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'd go with one of the nicer tent campers for the lighter weight and frontal area. mine is all aluminum except for the axle. no plywood, etc. to rot or rust. it sleeps 2 but only weighs 600#. the company makes them for large families as well, and most of them weigh under 2000#. and they now have smaller travel trailers as well. just a thought.
http://www.livinlite.com/

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, the wind will kick your butt.

The auto should be physically stronger. And it has a cooling system. And, with the converter, it's easier to driver. 5,000# towed as a habit on a Ranger clutch with the gearing that tranny has, and the gearing your axle has--it's going to take some smart and careful driving. I wouldn't buy a trailer that big for any Ranger.

Ford is publishing competitive specifications so you will buy their truck. That's the first thing. Then they have to see what they have that is most able to survive that load. Third, they already know that NOBODY buys a Ranger for that. It's the exception, by far, to see that much weight behind a Ranger. They don't even provide a brake controller harness because nobody does it.

Get the smaller trailer or an F150. My parents just bought a Scamp fifth-wheel and it has a 2,000# curb weight and is absolutely the best way to tow anything with a pickup.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Legally, if its over the rated limit, you're screwed if it comes to an accident, or if you get pulled over by an anal cop.

I have a 21 foot camper that I bought that's a 5th wheel. I have a picture of it posted in another thread on this page. Empty I have about 700 pounds of gross carrying capacity. Gross for a 4th gen Ranger is 9500 pounds, that's truck and trailer. Rear axle weight is another consideration.

A couple of weekends we went camping, and had to haul a freaking ton of stuff. Water tank was half full, huge cooler in the bed of the truck and three people total in the truck. Had the power to haul it, maintains speed up hills, but the truck definitely had too much rear axle weight from all the people and the cooler. Next time, cooler goes in the camper.

So my advice? Stay in the 21 to 24 foot range. Long trips, go with a 21. Closer to home, you could get away with the 24. Get an equilizer hitch (that's the brand), it's the best I've used. Get a good brake controller. Get the clutch fully engaged, and then pour on the throttle to get going (you'll need a lot of it, especially on highway ramps.) Also, be ready to down shift on steeper hills. You might be able to make them up in 4th, but that really hammers on the piston rings.

O yea, just because it's a 6 cylinder, doesn't mean you'll get good gas mileage. I get around 10 mpg or so.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals