• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L turbo diesel tow

keifer1122

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2.3l diesel ranger was wondering how much i can tow with it would it be more or less than the 2.3l gasser. what i plan on getting is a small slide in truck camper probably 1,000lbs and i have a 16ft aluminum boat with a 40hp on it. think i can haul this. maybe add a leaf, or monroe max air shock absorbers, or sumthin else suggestions

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think it's going to depend more on what gears you have in your axles and if you don't mind driving at 55 mph with all that weight you're hauling and towing. when you only have 85-90 hp and 130-135 lbs/ft torque, the only way to get the most out of that motor is with good gearing. i'm guessing it's either a 4 speed or 5 speed manual. if it's a 5 speed, i doubt you'll be using 5th gear much, if at all. and needless-to-say, you won't get the mileage from it compared to empty. i'd look over the gear and tire charts very carefully in the tech library here and decide what will give you the best power combination. i really don't think you'll be able to do all that hauling/towing safely from both a driving and drive train stand point... imho. good luck to you.

oh, and i'm sure you'll either be needing add-a-leaf's or heavier springs. maybe both.

Last edited:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You could do it, but I tell you what, with that camper its going to be one slow trip...

keifer1122

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
4x4 5-speed geared 3:45. tires standard 235's

just this spring i had a half yard of dirt in it and had to pull my oldschool pop up camper that weighs 2600# out of the way to dump the dirt,(3,000+lbs) did it with ease i thought i would have to give gas like crazy on take off but nope took off like normal. just drove it around my subdivision and even backed it up my driveway with no problem pretty nice grade for a load, then come to find out i had a cylinder with bad compression when i did all this. i should of took a picture that trailer has 300lb tongue weight with the dirt with all that weight it was squatty but i had plenty of wheel well for bumps.

this thing is going to be on a 2 track road bumps,mild grade, wasnt to sure about air suspension blow outs, will it hold up, how many # does a addaleaf help with

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It will def pull better than a "2.3l gasser" I dont think it will pul any better than bigger gas motors, Now if you tuned your diesel and turned your fuel up, larger intake all the way through, (allowing maximum airflow), youd pull alot better. And I recommend swapping in a 99 newer ranger axle with 4.10 gears, you'll thank us. If your just gonna buy gears dont go lower than 3.73:1.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
according to the tech library, the output of the motors in hp and torque are very nearly the same between the 2.3 gas and diesel engines. rpms will be different, but the end result is nearly identical.

jbanderson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
but that diesel will have almost all of its tourque right off idle, and keep most of it all through the rpms.
I have never driven a 2.3 diesel but your looking at around 2000 to 2500 lbs, and I know I would deffinantly go for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals