• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 4x4 standard v6 ranger vs v8 dakota

Tonyt22

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So im buying a used truck to get back and forth to work all highway miles im stuck between a 97 3.0 v6 4x4 standard extended cab and a 97 dakota 5.2 v8 4x4 standard regular cab i used to have a 04 3.0 v6 2wd standard regular cab (never should have sold it )so i assume gas mileage should be about the same 18-20 hwy and i believe the dakota is seeing about 15 hwy now if it was just mpg id choose the ranger hands down but i head to Nebraska once a year which truck has better towing capability? Im looking at a small travel trailer for me and my wife something about 4k loaded which would do better ill install a trailer break in either if need be

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a Ranger site. Go with the Ranger.

1997 is the last year of the good Ranger. It has an old-school front axle with u-joints in the axles and serviceable wheel bearings. Plus real lock-outs for the hubs.

I wouldn't give you 50 cents for that Dodge.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Once a year? Rent a truck for the holiday. You'll end up saving money on fuel.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If both have automatic trans then either will be fine, so go with the automatic if one is manual

Manual transmissions have lower weight rating for towing, automatics are stronger
No, it was never a driver thing, lol, just the laws of physics

Yes, I agree with alwaysFlOoReD, no brainer there, money saved with Ranger on MPG alone should make that decision, rent a bigger truck if needed

Any 20 year old used vehicle will require some repairs as time goes by, Ford Rangers seem to need less that chevy or dodge, so saving money there as well.
3.0l Vulcan engine was made/used from 1986 to 2008, very reliable history

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ranger all the way. Those dodges do NOT get the gas mileage they claim they get. Guy at work has a 98 Dakota, regular cab, auto trans, v6 2wd, and gets like 8 mpg. he drives two minutes to work in the city so that doesn't help but he said he got 13 mpg once when he was driving downhill with the wind pushing him lol. Ask yourself, how many Dakotas do you see on the road and how many rangers do you see on the road?? there's a reason. plus parts are always readily available and cheap for most rangers. I would get the ranger. plus its extended cab. that's a big plus right there. GET THE RANGER, you will not regret it. trust me.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Ranger !!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals