• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just changed TFI module need help

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
This is a long shot, but have you checked the timing on it? The popping you describe sounds to me like it could be a backfire. The low power reminds me of the Subaru Justy I had many years ago. With the timing set to spec, it wouldn't go over 50MPH. With the timing advanced, we got it to 70MPH.

There's another possibility that occurs to me, too. What octane is the fuel you're using? If your fuel octane is too low, your engine will ping.

I found some interesting info here: http://nastyz28.com/forum/threads/getting-pinging-under-load-is-this-timing-too-aggressive.157194/ It's a GM thread, but the information may still apply. He's pinging under load, too. And this: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=4016.0 Another GM thread, but also pinging under load.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much 1990RangerinSK

I appreciate all your info and help my timing is correct it was inspected when I did the CA smog test. Today it ran perfect until I came home down a highway grade when I coasted than turned off and started up the off ramp it started miss firing its like when you cross wire a car real bad. The lifter nose was very little that is the strange part. When I rev it up when warming it up in the morning I can hear a faint clicking snapping nose in the one valve cover. If it is a lifter I wonder if one could adjust the rocker arm down make like a solid lifter it maybe more than one lifter. I did try Cheveron supreme fuel high octane no change. The strange part is it runs perfect some day's and crappy others it is an on and off deal

bf750

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2. Crap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 1250 15
My credo
It is what it is
get a 5.0 and drop in it

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
get a 5.0 and drop in it
I wish it was that easy :) I have California smog laws there stiff and a bunch of BS. This pile of shit ran great today some 6 miles up hill got to town I noticed steam coming out from under the hood. It had blown the coolaint out from the top of the radiator cap. I also noticed the upper and lower radiator hoses sucked together. I bought a new cap lucky an auto store was there filled the radiator installed the new cap ran fine got back home the lower hose was sucked together WTF I was pissed. I took my other Napa radiator cap took the rubber off the lower spring seal as to not make a vacumme anymore. Now it does right pulls water in and out like it should temp stays normal

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals