• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tryin to find and need some help

dirtdigr27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
im tryin to find out where i cn get a toyota box truck dually axle (89-93)....i need one for my ranger i use as a work truck..any info would be much appericated

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What the hell are you hauling that you would want a dually axle on a ranger for?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i think you could just buy a dually for the amount/effort it would take to get that under your truck

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why do you need a dually axle? More load bearing weight? Why not just pick up a set of load E tires?
What is the pressure rating on a set of stock rims? 35psi. If they made load range E tires for a 15" rim (besides a trailer tire which isn't legal for use on a truck, and D is the highest rating on a 15, incidently) you wouldn't get the benefit without exceeding both the load and pressure rating of the rim.

The load rating on a semi-float 28-spline Ranger axle (8.8 and 7.5 are the same) is 2,750#. Not much.

I salute the effort to find a real dually axle. Get the gadarn parts you need to do it safely. Personally, I would use a SRW full-floater 14-bolt GM, D70 or Sterling axle. The 14-bolt is the best, by the way. It's a 7,500# capacity axle and a Detroit Locker is a lunchbox locker on it--just as it is on a heavy truck, like a semi--because the case is large and heavy enough.

You'll get 80" width and the load capacity you need. A Ranger frame is strong enough to handle it. My '71 Winnebago with a 10,000# GVWR had a frame only slightly larger than the Ranger--and much smaller than my heavy-duty crewcab pickup.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I saw a bunch of those running down the road lately, which was strange because I never really saw them around my area before...

How much weight do you need to carry?

I'd also look into a SRW axle and get rims made to make it into a dually.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just fat tires on the SRW.

I've been contemplating this for years. I will probably inheriting my wife's Pilot within the year and looking to get rid of my crewcab and would like to use my Ranger for towing my equipment--I have a Bobcat, small excavator and a small dozer. I can't fit everything at once on my trailer, but I'd like to be able to pull 10,000# with my Ranger. That means the little axle has to go. A 14-bolt is a 7,500# axle so setting a 5,000# pallet of pavers on a flatbed would be no problem, and a 2,000# toungeweight would be child's play. Really, the rear axle makes the truck. The load is carried by it and it deals with the force and shock of the weight. A Ranger frame is strong enough for quite a bit with the hangers and springs off of the larger truck.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
What is the pressure rating on a set of stock rims? 35psi. If they made load range E tires for a 15" rim (besides a trailer tire which isn't legal for use on a truck, and D is the highest rating on a 15, incidently) you wouldn't get the benefit without exceeding both the load and pressure rating of the rim.
The rims can actually handle more then people think, they just put those stickers on there to keep people from inflating tires way over maximum. Besides hown amy times have people put maximum tire pressure in to load more in the bed? alot. I see people regularly put 50psi in rear tires to carry some weight. So you can put more then 35 psi on a stock rim its just not reccomended.

Now a Load E tire while at the same psi is actually a better tire for hauling because it has a thicker and stiffer casing that won't flex as much with a heavy load. They also havea a greatly reduced chance of a blow out, and at half the psi they can handle a fairly decent load as a single tire. Say you have a P rated tire which most small trucks came with (or have installed) it can probably hold 1,200lbs at 44psi or somethign like that and probably like 1,000lbs at 35psi where as if you go with a LT Load E tire that can handle 3,500lbs at 80psi it can probably still hold about 2,500lbs at 40psi. THese aren't accurate numbers its just what I picked up from the tire store that I worked at. :icon_twisted:

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Help me understand something, I have never seen an air pressure rating on a rim. My minivan (as it seems with a lot of vehicles these days) as "touring" tires with a 44psi cold. I know that for ride comfort the tires should be at 35 psi per the door sticker. However, for tread life and max performance (full load of Boy Scouts and 1500 - 2000lbs of trailer & gear in tow) I want to follow the tire manufactures psi rating of 44 psi. By what I read above you are telling me that I am running about the rating for the RIM? And am at risk of damaging the rim or a bead failure? The tires were manfuctured to fit this size rim, the PSI spec on the tire is for optimual tread life and performance, how is the rim adversely effected by this higher pressure?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Help me understand something, I have never seen an air pressure rating on a rim. My minivan (as it seems with a lot of vehicles these days) as "touring" tires with a 44psi cold. I know that for ride comfort the tires should be at 35 psi per the door sticker. However, for tread life and max performance (full load of Boy Scouts and 1500 - 2000lbs of trailer & gear in tow) I want to follow the tire manufactures psi rating of 44 psi. By what I read above you are telling me that I am running about the rating for the RIM? And am at risk of damaging the rim or a bead failure? The tires were manfuctured to fit this size rim, the PSI spec on the tire is for optimual tread life and performance, how is the rim adversely effected by this higher pressure?
However the problem is that the psi rating on the side of the tire is ALWAYS the maximum pressure never what you should put in the tire. Like others have said you follow what the manufacture of the car recommends for the vehicle. You are running too much pressure in your tires and they WILL wear uneven and you run a greater risk of blowing the bead.

As for rims having tire pressure, they do have a recommended tire pressure most stock rims will not mention it because they expect people to run what is recommended by the manufacturer.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
after the exploder/bridgestone debacle, i've never trusted door stickers since. i weigh my truck at the scale, then i do the math to figure out the psi i need to support it based on the tire manufacturer's rating. never had any problem of uneven tire wear, blow out, etc. ran my little geo tracker with E-rated tires at 25psi for 3 years. still had firm handling, even tire wear across the tread, never blew out on me. doing the same thing now that those tires are on my ranger. different weight, different pressure, but still the same calculations based on weight and tire rating. don't know why i should do it differently, but that's just me.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The rims can actually handle more then people think, they just put those stickers on there to keep people from inflating tires way over maximum.
The rims on my trailer are stamped for psi and load rating, but it's in very small print. There is no sticker, it is stamped into the steel and it takes a lot of effort to find it even if you know it is there. If you have references, I'm willing to listen. Your opinion is fiction without them. Nobody should ever exceed the limits of the pressure/load stamped into their rims. Working at a tire shop certainly doesn't qualify you for blessing uncertified applications.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well

aftermarket wheels are differing

the funny thing is hardly any of the 15's are rated for a tire bigger then 33...

cracks me up when people talk shit about beadlocks with they have 40's on pos 60 dollar wagons...like thats right:icon_idea:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The rims on my trailer are stamped for psi and load rating, but it's in very small print. There is no sticker, it is stamped into the steel and it takes a lot of effort to find it even if you know it is there. If you have references, I'm willing to listen. Your opinion is fiction without them. Nobody should ever exceed the limits of the pressure/load stamped into their rims. Working at a tire shop certainly doesn't qualify you for blessing uncertified applications.
I wasn't saying that I was right I was just saying just because it has a set limit doesn't mean people are going to obey them especially if people don't even know about them. i would then believe that may people are running too much psi in their tires and rims and are still fine so if you go over the set amount it probably won't matter to a point.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals