• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't get engine running right! please help!

madranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1985 ford 302 with a motorcraft 2150 carburetor (brand new) on it. I can not get this thing tuned in at all, i belive it is running very rich due to the smell it is giving out when i have my face near the carb, ive been messing with the idle screws but i dont really even know around where they gotta be, can someone please explain how to dial these in good. I am going to pick up a vacuum gauge to help. also Im not exactly sure where my vacumm lines need to go i have just been plugging the ones im not sure about. any help would be good i believe i have no leaks but could be wrong.

[/URL][/IMG] this is the carb

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A running engine sucks in air thru the carb, so if you smell gas in the engine bay when engine is running then you have a leak in the fuel line or exterior of carb.

Before adjusting the carb you need to set base spark timing.
With engine off turn the two air/fuel screws in until they stop, DO NOT tighten, just until they stop, then turn each one back out 1 full turn then 1/2 a full turn, so 1.5 turns out.

Remove vacuum hose from distributor, plug the hose so no vacuum leaks
Make sure all vacuum ports on intake and carb are used or plugged up.

Loosen distributor so it can be turned but is not too loose
Hook up timing light and start engine
idle needs to be below 1,000 so distributor's mechanical advance isn't being used.
If Choke is on, idle may be higher.
So adjust idle screw if needed to lower idle under 1,000rpm
Set base spark timing at 8 deg. Before TDC

Turn off engine, remove timing light, tighten distributor
Plug distributor vacuum hose back in

Start engine and warm it up
Warm idle should be 650 with manual trans, 750-800 for automatic trans
Hook up vacuum gauge to intake manifold, or lower plate on carb
NOTE: any vacuum port ABOVE the lower plate(throttle plate) on a carb is a PORTED vacuum, not a "regular vacuum", and can't be used for adjusting mixture screws.

Vacuum at idle should be 16+
Adjust mixture screws equally to increase vacuum
You may have to turn idle down or up during this process, to keep it steady

When you have highest vacuum reading you can get you are done.

madranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok sounds good, i was messing with both timing and my idle screws at the same time so i was probably offsetting each other, when i set my idle screws do i want the vacuum hose hooked back onto the distributor? also i got it running a little better just by messing with stuff but it was idling OK but when i would romp the engine it would basically die and come back to life, what would this mean? just things not adjusted correctly?

Thank You for your reply!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals