• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ignition timing

97LowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
1997 2.3 L 5 speed
hey guys i need help asap i just replaced my timing belt everything came out good, before the ignition was retarded now its still at 20 degrees btdc any idea? at idle rpms drop to 600s when the ac or heater goes to front/foot position im thinking a vacuum actuator, but i cannot find vacuum diagrams also is that way off? it runs with no power. do these trucks have a knock sensor? if so where is it at i haven't checked my fuel pressure but my vacuum is at 15" Mg this is my daily driver so please help me!
ignition coils are good, only checked the first injector its in spec, i run 87 octane, its had plugs and wires, cleaned maf, timing belt, fuel filter, help me!

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Did you make sure to get the oil pump pulley lined up properly? These things use a cam sensor on that shaft. Also, are you 100% confident of the cam being timed right? You can't trust the timing light on these motors with the 8 plug ignition, mine never read right...

97LowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
Did you make sure to get the oil pump pulley lined up properly? These things use a cam sensor on that shaft. Also, are you 100% confident of the cam being timed right? You can't trust the timing light on these motors with the 8 plug ignition, mine never read right...
yes im 100% sure its timed correctly, it did this before the belt i only replaced it because i saw it was cracked and worn, also it runs bad, on cool days it runs like a new truck. im thinking its somehow running rich maybe, i really need to look for vacuum hoses into the cab for ac do you know where they go in at?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I don't off hand, but a vacuum line to the heater box would not cause this issue, all you would get is a slightly high idle. And when on the throttle a vaccim leak will cause no ill effects unless its a very large leak. Your issue as described, to me, is not vacuum related.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
97lowRanger: "it runs with no power."

If it didn't ran this way before, then you have messed up the cam or ignition timing somehow. From your description, you didn't really change anything except the belt that would affect how much power was developed. The belt change could affect both cam and ignition timing.
If you are really into the idea of a vacuum leak, then find the hose that leads to the vacuum tree and plug the line leading to the intake manifold. Any leaks would be eliminated (given the line from the intake is intact).
tom

97LowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
timing belt is on correctly, it idles great until i turn on the ac or heater on face/feet area the idle drops to like 570 low 600s so when driving its fine with ac on but if i come to a stop it idles low, maybe a leak on the ac controls? i cannot find a diagram that would be helpful! i disconnect the fresh air actuator because i see a vacuum line coming from the engine bay right under it but the idle issue is still there so im guessing the controls get vacuum from somewhere else if anyone has a diagram that would help. and it was running bad but not anymore.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Could be a bad IAC

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Clogged iac valve sounds about right.

97LowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
Clogged iac valve sounds about right.
took it off a while ago, cleaned it but decided to replace it anyways so im sure its not the problem, again i can drive it perfectly revs and drops to normal rpm then with ac on like defroster, works ok, but if i switch to face/feet position it cannot idle correctly

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
If it switches at all, its certainly not a vac leak. It takes a smaller leak to make the doors not move than it does to cause idle issues. Idk what it could be my friend, this is a very peculiar situation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals