• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The gun thread...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that's good news Josh, glad they caught the POS that had it. hopefully they actually punish him and just a slap on the wrist.

no real updates on my guns, I am building a new AR15 though. this one will be a SPR/mk12 inspired build. I have the lower all assembled and a stripped upper waiting for parts. currently saving for a seekins precision 18", 1x7 twist, .223 wylde chamber, stainless heavy barrel for it. still deciding on a nicer trigger. leaning towards a timney since i have one on my Remington 700 that i have been happy with. it'll be getting it's own dedicated 556 suppressor too. the .308 suppressor is still kind of loud since it's a semi. pics when it's done!

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Wow this thread finally died... Guess it's time to revive it!

I got a "new gun" and a huge surprise about a half hour ago. My parents dropped by and gave me a gun that I never though I'd own again.

It's not likely that anyone remembers, and I'm not going to dig through the thread to find the post but a little over a year ago several guns were stolen from my dad's house. One of them was a limited production .44 mag Taurus Tracker with a 6.5" barrel (4.5" was max for normal production). Well about two hours ago the PD in their city caught a gang banger that happened to be carrying my revolver, and they wanted to return it ASAP.

Amazingly it still had the same bullets that were in it when it was taken. It's a little more beat up and scuffed than before, but it's stainless and a woods gun so finish isn't compromised and cosmetics don't matter too much. Looks like someone dropped it over the past year the rear sight is obviously not right, so it'll either have to be adjusted or replaced, but that just means more shooting right.

Possibly the best part of it is that if this gun was still in the area, chances are the rest of them are as well. If the guy starts talking more of them might turn up, and possibly lead back to the bastard that was doing the break ins in the area.

My week is made!

FWIW I've also added a Taurus 992 revolver and a Jard 22 ar-15 upper since my last post. The Taurus 992 is the 9 shot .22 LR / .22 mag, it's stainless with 4" barrel. The Jard is exactly what it sounds like. I'm now on the hunt for a 6.8 SPC upper for my AR, want to hunt with it this year and would like a little heavier bullet than .223 supports. Since my dad has a 6.8 upper it goes to the top of the list, nice having common cartridges.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just hyped right now! Damn this has been a good day!

Congrats!!! That's pretty sweet to get back! One of my buddies just had his place broke into and they took his rifles, a couple pistols and his wife's jewelry. His name is josh too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
My favorite. Early remington 700 adl .243 win. It's taken every deer it's shot at. Only shot one twice and it was on it's way down when the second shot hit. Made it about 10'. every buck I've taken has been with this rifle.
My second favorite. Ruger #1 .375 h&h...For when the squirrels hide on the other side of the tree.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Over the winter I built a 7.62x39 upper and recently I got a trust for SBR's and can's, Infidel Trust.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I wanna build a 7.62x39 bolt gun. Just haven't had the funding for it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
For my 18th birthday my parents gave me my first and so far only gun. A Browning 12 gauge pump action shotgun, nice gun. They said they got it cheap because someone returned it to the store unfired :yahoo:, it ain't much but rifles don't get much use on the plains as far as hunting goes, there's no place to shoot them with a safe backdrop. I'd like to build an AR-15, but then again wouldn't we all.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I have and will continue to build AR's regardless of where I live.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For my 18th birthday my parents gave me my first and so far only gun. A Browning 12 gauge pump action shotgun, nice gun. They said they got it cheap because someone returned it to the store unfired :yahoo:, it ain't much but rifles don't get much use on the plains as far as hunting goes, there's no place to shoot them with a safe backdrop. I'd like to build an AR-15, but then again wouldn't we all.
Good deal on the shotgun, pretty much about the only type of gun to have in Iowa if you hunt. You can walk around looking for pheasants then shoot a turkey and then go hunt deer. They don't come any more versatile. I don't see many Browning pumps in my neck of the woods though, usually autos.

I take it you are not from the SW corner of the state, lots of hills around here. The rifle thing is because of population not plains. Out west where it is really wide open and you can watch your dog run away for days rifles are the big thing.

Building an AR is a lot of fun, I have a thread going about my build. The lower is done so far. Expensive for a paper hole punch/coyote plugger in our state but I have wanted one for awhile.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Good deal on the shotgun, pretty much about the only type of gun to have in Iowa if you hunt. You can walk around looking for pheasants then shoot a turkey and then go hunt deer. They don't come any more versatile. I don't see many Browning pumps in my neck of the woods though, usually autos.

I take it you are not from the SW corner of the state, lots of hills around here. The rifle thing is because of population not plains. Out west where it is really wide open and you can watch your dog run away for days rifles are the big thing.

Building an AR is a lot of fun, I have a thread going about my build. The lower is done so far. Expensive for a paper hole punch/coyote plugger in our state but I have wanted one for awhile.
Nope I am not from the SW corner, I'm between Omaha and Des Moines sort of. I'm going into college soon so I have no money to build an AR, one day though, one day...

I'd love to have a semi-auto shotgun for self defense, but for hunting the pump suits me just fine.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have all kinds of guns, but the last one I bought was a Beretta Bobcat in .22LR in 1999. Carried that in my pocket for 15 years and decided I should upgrade last year. I now carry a Beretta Nano 9mm. A bit bigger, can still go in some pockets, but Beretta sells a perfect IWB holster for it and you can wear your man bikini and still conceal it.

I also bought a Ruger Mini-30 recently. We hadthe Mini-14 in a full-auto model when I was a Marine Security Guard working with State Department weapons. It had no cooling and suffered huge barrel rise on full auto, but was still a cool little rifle. The Mini 30 uses the Russian 7.62x39 instead of the 233/Nato 5.56 so it is very cheap to shoot and has an even worse barrel rise.

The last gun I recently bought was to shoot cats. We have been getting lots of litters of kittens delivered. We don't purposely own a cat. We live on an old farm with lots of fields and lots of cats around, but we like to keep one good mouser and eliminate the rest. From my kitchen window I have a 250 yard stripe mowed to the woods. Inside that stripe, anything goes. I bought a Savage B-mag and a $40 Tasco scope. It's a new rimfire .17 that reaches 3,000fps and has very little drop in 250 yards. It has the best trigger I have ever used. When I was a marine, we used open sights and qualified at 500 yds with our stand weapon. I shot a lot of other guns in other roles, but the trigger on this Savage B-mag is just brilliant. Normally on a rifle you get used to a lot of different things happening and you feel those in the trigger as you squeeze it. In the end, you learn the break point, and that's where you cut your breath, relax, open your eye real big to focus on the sight with the target blurry right behind it and POP.

The Savage B-mag cuts through all the trigger searching and gets right to the edge. I'm sure they use that trigger on other weapons, but it's a great device. You pull and feel a light smooth slide then a hitch--any pull past that hitch--BANG. There is no force from your squeeze that could push the round off course. I bought a bunch of ammo (17 WSM) on line and it's pretty cheap for being a real 300 yard rifle.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably the "Accu-Trigger" with the blade in the center of the trigger? That style of thing is becoming fairly common on the midrange guns. I know Mossberg has a "Lightning Trigger" which is similar and my Ruger has one with the same idea.

I love the one on my Ruger. :icon_thumby:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I will take my G26 over any pistol out there. I have done a few things to it but I am not saying what.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I am curious to know what you guys think the most popular rounds are in the world.

My guess would be 556, 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 NATO.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agree with 7.62x39. It about has to be #1. The other two could be big but I don't know how many are in civilian hands worldwide. Some govts are scared of them running loose.

Being in military service since 1891 I would have to say 7.62x54R would be in the running too. In its prime it was popular with both Russia and China and as one would expect they pumped out millions of rifles and rounds.

8mm Mauser would have to be popular too, all of them made leading up to WWII and then they stayed pretty popular with militaries for quite a while afterwards.

And plenty of 30-06 has been sprinkled around the world during and after WWII as well.

Maybe the .303 too, the British Empire used to be pretty big and they would have been popular in those areas.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
We are over looking .22LR. It is the most popular in the world.

Sent from my iPad avoiding something that I should be doing right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals