• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 5.0 expo-ranger build thread

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well crap lol. How so?

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well....I had to backtrack :( The X wiring harness had a couple items in the wrong spot and I didn't want to botch my inner fender up to hide/make room for those items so I reinstalled the ranger wiring harness.... Inside and out. So I swapped the dash back and swapped out the dash pad with the X dash.

I got a new relocater in the mail yesterday and got that installed so now I'm waiting for my headers to arrive so I can get the show on the road! (No pun intended)
I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a new radiator last night since that was gonna be the main thing holding me up for this Saturday.
Thought I'd add a little authenticity to my build since I don't plan on selling this truck and my original cluster bit the dust.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I fired up the engine tonight! Installed my radiator and ran all the trans lines.
Got in my Headman 89500's........ Should of read about these headers. You would think they would work great seeing how they are made for this swap???? But as I found out and just now read, the passenger side dumps straight into the I beam suspension. I'm in a pinch to get this truck done so I don't know whether to use them or make them take them back and order a set of 88400's??? Would the frame need notched for a set of 88400's?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I couldn't remember if it was the frame, firewall, or the beam the 89's faced, guess you found it. The 88400's are supposed to clear everything better than the 89500...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 88400's are on their way... Wow I'm 3 sets of headers into this!!!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What kind of upper/lower radiator hose do I use SVT? Looks tight around that alternator! I'm using the 4.0 2 core radiator.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I can't remember if I used the stock 4.0, or the stock 5.0 for the upper, the lower I used stock 87-93 mustang V8 lower trimmed on both ends (its in the thread, first post). I think a stock V8 explorer lower would work (99-01 without the oil cooler)...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update! I got my power steering all hooked up today! Bought a tubing bender tonight to redo the trans lines going into the radiator since the top one is hitting my ac pump.
Got the Headman 88400's in the mail today! I called summit and they are going to let me return the 89500's thankfully even though I did install them.
Picked up my driveshaft today also.
I was looking at the water pump and I think I'm gonna take a cut off wheel and cut the threaded part off the end to give me almost an inch more clearance since I gotta run an electric fan anyway. Hopefully I'll bee and to drive it this Saturday! Then the body work will be done after that.... So he says *facepalm*

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad to hear your getting close, Get us some more pics!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The 88400's worked!!! Finally!!! After 3 different sets of headers!!! I did have to notch the passenger side frame real a bit but I just DID NOT want to use those horrible exhaust manifolds that came with the X.
Before

After

I also gained some clearance for my electric fan by cutting the threads off my water pump.

So since my header worked I was able to put everything back under the hood. I pretty much got everything back together. I got to top off the trans fluid and oil. Oil pan with the relocater holds 6 quarts of oil! Got my brakes all hooked up just gotta bleed those. Also picked up the 99 5.0 Explorer radiator hose for the bottom.
One thing I got to do is bypass that clutch safety switch so my engine will start using the key! I swapped relays and everything until it final dawned on me! This was a manual shift truck! It has a clutch switch! I'd like to jumper it for the time being until I can go to the junkyard and pull the bypass switch from an automatic.
Picked up a 1400cfm 16" electric fan from the Zone tonight so I'll get that installed tomorrow!
Tomorrow!!! She should be rolling the tires over!! Here she is in her present state!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got to lay down my first black mark today! It will do it with no sweat whatsoever! I took it easy cause my bed isn't bolted down and I didn't want it to slide into my tires and damage it or even worse lose it on the highway! https://youtu.be/sd_AvtGjsBQ
My 16" electric fan was too deep and wouldn't work so I took it back and got a 12" and a 10" fan and it couldn't have worked out any better! Also picked up an adjustable temp switch 2 fan controller that works with the ac to cool the condenser when the ac is on.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a couple issues that do need addressed.

One is my alt is not charging. My wiring harnesses is plugged in and all the fuses for the alt (under hood/inside cab) are good. The green with red stripe wire isn't getting any power and I'm pretty sure that wire needs 12v to make the alt charge. So not sure what to search for now???? Prob doesn't matter but I did jumper the clutch safety start switch to get it to start of the key. I only jumpered the pink/pink white???? wire and left the safety switch unplugged so?????

Another thing that bugs me is the speedo isn't working. I was under the assumption the speedo was not an issue whatsoever with this swap???? Any tips there??

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The charge excite wire should be in the 12 pin connector next to the abs module. The speedo, is your vss located in the tailhousing/tcase? Are the wires from the vss going to the ecu?

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I found that excite wire in the 12 pin connector and checked it to find no voltage. I did read last night that if the charge light blows in the cluster then it won't charge..... Funny thing is I ran this cluster in the X for a couple days before I did the swap and it charged fine. Maybe Monday I'll pull the cluster out and check the battery light.

Only plug I recall on the trans was one large plug (other than O2 connectors) and it is connected. I need to take it for a spin really. I did the burnout and parked it yesterday then moved it around last night I'm pretty sure I drove the thing 1/10th of a mile but possibly not? I was moving it last night and looked down and the speedo wasn't moving but I possibly wasn't going fast enough??? So it possibly could be working.????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals