• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 FX4 (LVL2?) flareside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 2003 FX4 flareside with salvage title. Runs really smooth, just afflicted with the all too common rear frame rust problem. Lady that owned it got hit from behind, and this detatched the bumper from the frame (i guess she hit a vehicle in front of her because the front bumper is damaged).

Anyway, here's a few pics. I have a lot more pics to document the rebuild.

Things I am replacing now:

-Rear upper shock mounts, got replacements
-all four shocks. The rear shocks are sticks of rust. Front ones not much better. Got some KYB KG5493 and KG54309 to go on there
- rear spring perch and shackles. Got Dorman replacements
-gas tank straps on order

-find or fab a bed. Scrapped the old one, saved the fiberglass sides and frame for the lights/tailgate and cab side of the bed box.

currently have rear frame rails needlegunned and sanded. Gonna give everything a coat of rustoleum zinc chromate primer once I get the gas tank out, fuel line going to evap, cables going to tailights, etc off.

-need to fab a mount for the EVAP cannister (scrapping the spare tire carrier, which is several large flakes of rust lol)

-need to fab/buy rear bumper mounts. Rear bumper needs sanded and coated. Front bumper also.

-need to fab/buy rear crossmembers near gas tank and both under the cab. Need to fab new gas strap hangers.

There's some front end stuff that needs attention, but nothing as serious as the rear.

I'll bbl to add more pics....

more pics for the moment:

BTW, the reason I have uncertainty about it being a level 2 is because it is only marked "FX4 Offroad" on the fender, but I've heard people say that some are not marked with the "level 2" that indeed have that package.

Last edited:

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I have lived my whole life in the southwest and I am always amazed to see rust like that on a vehicle. My 89 Ranger is basically rust free. I feel sorry for all you who have to put up with rust.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
QUOTE=2trux;1519653]I have lived my whole life in the southwest and I am always amazed to see rust like that on a vehicle. My 89 Ranger is basically rust free. I feel sorry for all you who have to put up with rust.[/QUOTE]

Hey, but on the flipside, without rust rotting them out, fewer people might be "throwing them out", heh.

Here's an update:

At least it aint all bad:

not bad:

Then here's crossmember I was talking about. Gonna fab a replacement out of
1/8" angle iron and sheet:

One stubborn SOB! Didn't have to use a torch though. Didn't really want to, due to the
generous soaking of PB Blaster and the fact that the mount is about 6 to 8 inches away from a poly fuel tank, heh!

Here are the fenders and their markings. No "level II" but on another thread
some folks said that's not unheard of.

Here's an interior shot. Filthy as hell, but not my mess, heh. Maybe this can
give some clues to the level 2 question?

The rooster isn't mine!

The bed was so worthless I cut it up with a plasma and threw it out, except for
the rear section that holds the tail lights. I think I'm gonna try to bead roll a new bed floor.

Noflers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've got the same rust. But it's not as bad on the frame as yours. I didn't need to replace the strut mounts or anything like that. But I am worried about the bed. I found one in my area for $250, but it's a different color. Even if I talk him down to $150 I'll still have to pay another $200 for the paint

Noflers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How long are those two bed mount bolts nearest to the cab? I was thinking, for a temporary fix, I could send the bolts through a piece of plywood that stretches accross the width of the bed to hold the bed to the frame a little firmer until I find a new bed.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
From one rusty Ranger owner to another, I feel your pain. I hope you got a wicked deal on that.
On a positive note, now is a great time to make changes.

grumpyguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Crap! Was that truck parked in a salt mine. I've owned my 93 since April 94 and have zero rust.

luke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Man that's a ton of rust for a truck only 12 years old. That's 30 years worth of rust where I live.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How long are those two bed mount bolts nearest to the cab? I was thinking, for a temporary fix, I could send the bolts through a piece of plywood that stretches accross the width of the bed to hold the bed to the frame a little firmer until I find a new bed.
I didn't measure it exactly, but I think they're about three inches. I ground the passenger side one off, not enough balls to do the driver side one situated right over the gas tank, heh. Maybe Ford engineers found a way to get polyethylene to rust, haha ....one small leak and BOOM LOL

Anyway, welded up the S**goffroad press brake today to make some frame hardware :icon_thumby:

It's not that bad really from mid cab on up. On the rear frame rails, not so bad from shock mounts forward. Just a couple of bad spots....

I got a 24" x 36" * .120 from local "Metal Grocery Store", plus I already have some 1/8" angle iron and flat strip on hand....and gas tank straps from some sweatshop in the middle kingdom came in hah....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
progress report

Ok! Time for an update!

I tacked up a crossmember to replace the OEM part :

Ford part in background, F.O.R.D. part in foreground!

F.O.R.D. part resting on Ford part:

F.O.R.D. frame rail replacement sections (yah I know the bends need to be trammed up)

here's the end that mates to the frame

Built Ford Weak(TM) vs F.O.R.D., where......quality is.....VERY IMPORTANT

:icon_welder::icon_hornsup:

BTW, that's all 1/8" inch thick, I have no idea how thick the OEM crossmember is....solid ferric oxide is very difficult to measure with a sheet metal gauge HAHA

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You had better have got a killer deal on that truck man! Neither one of mine or my brothers 91 rangers or my 92 explorer had anything close to that. Makes me appreciate only having to struggle with a rusted exhaust system. Excited to see what you do with it!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You had better have got a killer deal on that truck man! Neither one of mine or my brothers 91 rangers or my 92 explorer had anything close to that. Makes me appreciate only having to struggle with a rusted exhaust system. Excited to see what you do with it!
Heh, yeah less than half of what they go for in decent condition. The front end is good (transmission crossmember has hardly any rust at all, etc), and mechanicals are perfect. This frame stuff is cheap and only costs me :beer: :icon_welder: and

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, the frame rail on the driver's side right where there's a bend between the cab and bed is shot to hell. I could patch in new frame rail there, but I don't feel comfortable driving it because...shit happens. I can just see, even something fishplated....well murphy's law, and that fabricated section failing and puncturing the fuel tank, and then the ranger becomes a dutch oven from hell.

My two choices I think are racing fuel cell where the spare tire usually is...or part this bitch out. Anyone here done the fuel cell thing? :icon_welder:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Another possibility is to put a Bronco II fuel tank out back where the spare tire used to sit. Might be cheaper than the fuel cell route.
Not much fab involved and several on here have done it. Josh40601 and RockRanger come to mind.
RockRangers build here (start at post 403): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125858&page=21

Its an option.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals