• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 l performance ?

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Okay well I get around 20 mpg. I have just stock tire size but I need to get new ones soon thinking of getting a slightly wider rim nothing to big like a 12.5 but not stock either. I'm not looking to put a whole lot of money into this truck due to me having a 79 f150 project I've been working on for over a year which needs to get on track again. Also I'm am new to the ranger world and mechanics so what is a p235?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Your not going to get much better than 20mpg with the 2.8. The bigger tires the more your gonna need to push on the skinny pedal. Unless you change the gear ratio in the rear. You will also need to get a different speedo gear unless you like tickets. Its all relevant.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
What would be a good tire that fits on a stock rim at stock ride hight I'm looking for a more aggressive tire for dirt and mud

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A (P)assenger tire that is (235) mm x .03937 inches across.

Okay well I get around 20 mpg. I have just stock tire size but I need to get new ones soon thinking of getting a slightly wider rim nothing to big like a 12.5 but not stock either. I'm not looking to put a whole lot of money into this truck due to me having a 79 f150 project I've been working on for over a year which needs to get on track again. Also I'm am new to the ranger world and mechanics so what is a p235?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What would be a good tire that fits on a stock rim at stock ride hight I'm looking for a more aggressive tire for dirt and mud
Look on the drivers door for a label, it will have the stock tire size.

You want "mud-terrain tires", these have wider gaps for better traction.
BUT(big but) they can be noisy on hard dry pavement.

You also want a portable air compressor and pressure gauge.
When you will be running in mud or sand you want to let air out of your tires for better floatation and traction, if you run 30psi then drop it down to 10-15psi.
You want to avoid sharp turns or spinning the tires as you will break the seal/bead on the rim when running with lower pressure.

Compressor is to refill the tires when the fun is over and it is time to go home :(

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
Hey I got a 2.8 with a mild cam, offy duel plane intake, holly 4 barrel carb and dura spark ignition. That truck does pretty good with 5.13 gears and 38's. Maybe 12-14 mpg on the high way with no over drive.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
How well does it do going up hill? Mine seems so slow on hills but it's all stock and has stock gearing. Was thinking of doing the duraspark conversion it would only cost me around 120 for all the parts not including a carb.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
How well does it do going up hill? Mine seems so slow on hills but it's all stock and has stock gearing. Was thinking of doing the duraspark conversion it would only cost me around 120 for all the parts not including a carb.
With normal driving, never had an issue going up any hills with either my 84 Ranger or 84 B2 both with the 2.8L V6. I have no clue what gear ratio was in the Ranger but it did great pulling a 14' travel trailer all over the country. My B2 had 3.73 gears and did just fine on hills as well.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
My ranger and my bronco 2 have issues with hills doing 60 if I get any kind of a rolling hill it slows way down and that's even after I drop down into fourth gear. I know some times I have to just ride out a hill in third doing 45-50 mph. Is this normal for them to do. Also the motor is freshly rebuilt in the bronco 2 and I'm riunning stock rims and stock tire size not sure of the gearing though

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals