• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing lower intake gasket.

Sawboss3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm working on a 98 Ranger 4.0, replacing the lower intake gasket. I'm hoping to only replace the gasket. Is there any reason I'd need to remove the fuel rail and injectors before i pull the lower intake?

cal74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm working on a 98 Ranger 4.0, replacing the lower intake gasket. I'm hoping to only replace the gasket. Is there any reason I'd need to remove the fuel rail and injectors before i pull the lower intake?
I don't believe you have to, should be able to pull all that up in one piece to get to the lower gasket.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lower intake can come off with the fuel rail attached. As noted you will probably need to do valve cover gaskets, and the upper intake gasket will need replaced, but that should all come in the lower set.

Sawboss3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the responses. Yes, the valve covers did need to come off. I'm hoping not to see anything else damaged once I get the lower off - hopefully this weekend. I think I will be able to put it all back together faster than I took it apart.

DangerRanger37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It goes back together way faster than it came apart. Just take your time. The advantage to pulling the upper and fuel rail is that it's less to fight with while placing the lower intake back on since you cant slide it. Also While your in there it doesn't hurt to spend an extra 40 bucks on gaskets.

Sawboss3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It came out nicely and I cleaned up the surfaces and was about to install the new gasket, but now I'm confused by the new gaskets. The new ones are not exactly the same as the old one I pulled off. It was all one piece, connected across the middle. Also the openings don't seem to line up. Not sure if I'm missing something or if I was sent the wrong gasket.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It came out nicely and I cleaned up the surfaces and was about to install the new gasket, but now I'm confused by the new gaskets. The new ones are not exactly the same as the old one I pulled off. It was all one piece, connected across the middle. Also the openings don't seem to line up. Not sure if I'm missing something or if I was sent the wrong gasket.
a lot of aftermarket gaskets will be split into 2 sections to save money on there end. pretty sure fomoco parts are still 1 piece. guess that the price you pay for convenient/quality parts. the 2 piece can be a real pain to install. try adding iether a dab of marine grease in several spots or some rtv. other words youll be fighting them trying to get them to stay in place while installing the intake.

as for the openings you probably have them switched backwards. try and cross reference the part numbers on www.rockauto.com

Sawboss3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I came back to it with a clear head later on and made the 2 piece gasket work. I've got everything back together, and flushed & filled the cooling system and all is well. No leaks. The whole job was a good learning experience for me. I can see now that this job wasn't as monumental as I originally feared. If I had to do it again, it could probably be done in an afternoon, maybe 2-3 hours. Thanks for all the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals