• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for a mini resto

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
First off, it's been a while since I've been on. I did some lurking around and its good to see familiar screen names still here. My B2 unfortunately has been sitting in the driveway for a few years. I recently decided to give her a little love with some fresh plugs, filters, set the timing etc. Well after trying to move the dizzy, I found it seized and I'm unable to move it. So this post will be about how I went from quick tune-up to taking the body off the frame. I know this is going to be a huge undertaking and that's why I've come back here. When a project slows down you need friends to light a fire under your butt to keep you going. So here's the plan, I have access to a lift at work on the weekends. Starting Friday after work I'm going to pull the body and leave it on the lift then roll the chassis out. Once the chassis is out, I'll pull the motor, drop the oil pan and timing cover. Hopefully with these removed I can knock out the distributor. Then I'll throw on a slew of goodies I already ordered from Jeg's and to finish it off some new poly bushings and a new body lift to replace the cracked ones that are in there now. Oh, and get it out of the shop by Monday. No pressure right? Updates when parts get here and I have a date for tear-down. Any tips for pulling a body off by yourself?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I assume you have a 2.9? Just pull the upper intake off. Easy access to the distributor at that point. You should be able to use a chisel or punch or something to work the distributor free. I went through the same thing with my 460, it was seized in place. Some penetrating oil and a few whacks with a hammer got it loosened up enough to set the timing.

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
Nah, it's a 94 5.0L I've tried a lot of different ideas. Pb blaster, kroil, brass punch/chisel while someone was trying to turn it with a oil filter strap wrench. I've even driven it around a bit with the hold down completely off. Nothing. I heard dry ice could work so I tried that too. Still nothing. It's a msd pro billet so I'd like to try and save it but I'm realistic and ordered a new one. LOL. My oil pan gasket is leaking and now the timing cover is leaking too (I'm guessing from trying to heat the distributor area) so I'll pull the motor, drop the pan and knock it out from the bottom.

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual

Body lift removed and where it belongs, in the trash!

And I got the distributor out!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Hey, my old body bushings ended up in a pile of rust chunks too... how familiar.

What'd you use for replacements? I got some from Pro-thane I think, they worked well.

Good work on the distributor, I am in the habit of using anti-sieze on them now.

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
I ended up using the energy suspension poly kit and the day star body lift kit. My body bushing "nuts" were trash so I used the thick fender washers that came in the poly bushing kit. As far as the distributor, I antiseized it too. Back in 98 when I installed it. Maybe it wears off after a while :icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals