• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L Not Starting

BlueJalopy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Recently my ranger stopped running. It initially started dying at idle at stop signs/red lights etc. I would have to rev it up in neutral just to keep it going.

Finally it quit starting all together. It turns over but just won't fire up.

I put in all new spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, I'm getting 35 psi from the fuel rail. I tested the fuel pump relay and it was operating normally. I tested 2 of the 4 fuel injectors (haven't had time to remove the intake manifold to test the hard to reach ones) and they were good.

I'm at a loss. I cannot figure out why this thing will not start. Any ideas?
I have not checked the MAF or the IAC yet.

Thanks in advance.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Check for spark when cranking. You can use a spare spark plug along with one of the plug wires by grounding the outer shell of the plug and cranking the engine over.
If you have spark, try opening the throttle a small bit using the gas pedal and then trying to start the engine. A failing IAC may not keep a good steady idle, and may possibly not open enough for a good 'cold fast idle' on startup, and may not open enough for any idle at all. Manually opening the throttle will give the engine something to work with.
tom

BlueJalopy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I checked the MAF sensor, it looks fairly clean. I don't belie e it's tfi, I have two coil packs.

BlueJalopy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I sprayed some starter fluid directly into the intake and the truck started up temporarily and sputtered out. I'm assuming since I'm getting 35 psi at the fuel rail it would have to be injectors?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The injectors themselves are likely okay; they are probably not firing.

Could be a bad PCM or Crankshaft Positioning Sensor, though on that year/engine I believe the Crankshaft position sensor controls both Spark and Fuel, so you wouldn't be getting spark either.

Does that year have a Camshaft Position Sensor?

Have you read the trouble codes? I would see if you get code 513, PCM Failure

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2digitcodes.shtml

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3digitcodes.shtml

BlueJalopy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The injectors themselves are likely okay; they are probably not firing.

Could be a bad PCM or Crankshaft Positioning Sensor, though on that year/engine I believe the Crankshaft position sensor controls both Spark and Fuel, so you wouldn't be getting spark either.

Does that year have a Camshaft Position Sensor?

Have you read the trouble codes? I would see if you get code 513, PCM Failure

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2digitcodes.shtml

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3digitcodes.shtml

Yes it does. I plan on testing this next (have to pick up some vampire clips for my multimeter):
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/2.3L/icm-and-crank-sensor-tests-1

I don't have a ODB1 scanner so I haven't checked the codes yet. The engine light isn't on; however, it could have been disabled by the previous owner.

Last edited:

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I am not a Lima engine expert by any means but this sounds like a typical crank position sensor or fuel pump issue. If I was taking a shot in the dark I would lean on the crank position sensor.

On jeeps and dodge late 80s and 90s vehicles would some times have this issue where the sensor would partially fail or only work when cold. It would cause the vehicles to some times run perfectly fine and other times just crank with no start. Some times they vehicle would start and drive fine and after a while start missing or randomly die. This made trouble shooting hard since it was hard to pin point the exact condition.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I think I'd bet more on the cam position sensor. If it will fire on starting fluid(ether) or some gasoline dribbled into the intake(via vacuum line or straight into the throttle), then the sparking plugs are sparking at the, close to, correct time in the cycle. If the injectors are not spritzing, then adding fuel will allow it to run, stumble a bit, on the fuel dribbled into the intake. I think the injectors are SEFI, and thus are 'timed' to the cylinder they feed, based on cam position. I think the sparkers are timed based on crank position, and then modified(ATDC/BTDC) by the computer.
If you get spark enough to keep it running(spritz into the intake via any mechanism- BE PREPARED FOR FIRE!!!) though running roughly, by adding fuel, then it is a fuel supply problem of some sort. Get some 'noid' lights and check for injector pulse to verify if electronic or mechanical(fuel) problem.
tom

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My guess is the ICM. The screws holding it in are also grounds.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals