• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dumb question, but...

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is this a Cargo light, backup light, brake light, or what?

Dumb question, I know, but my truck didn't have one when I first got it, just a black piece of plastic covering the housing so that a camper shell could be permanently installed. I took the shell off, and no light. So picked one up from a wrecking yard here and apparently it came with a defective bulb. All the 1st and 2nd gen Rangers I've seen have the same light, but I have no idea what it goes to. It can't be a brake light like the new Rangers because it's white, not Red. But, because it doesn't work, I have no idea what to test to make sure it's not just the bulb.

So yeah, what is it? What lights that bad boy up?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
On my 84 it is a cargo light when you turn the knob for the cab lights it lights up. But I know they made it a requirement to have it as a brake light aswell some time. My 99 is a brakelight/cargo light. Not sure when they made it a requirement but I wanna say its a cargo light.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is this a Cargo light, backup light, brake light, or what?

Dumb question, I know, but my truck didn't have one when I first got it, just a black piece of plastic covering the housing so that a camper shell could be permanently installed. I took the shell off, and no light. So picked one up from a wrecking yard here and apparently it came with a defective bulb. All the 1st and 2nd gen Rangers I've seen have the same light, but I have no idea what it goes to. It can't be a brake light like the new Rangers because it's white, not Red. But, because it doesn't work, I have no idea what to test to make sure it's not just the bulb.

So yeah, what is it? What lights that bad boy up?
Have you tried leaving a door open or rolling the dimmer switch all the way to turn on the dome light?

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have you tried leaving a door open or rolling the dimmer switch all the way to turn on the dome light?
Yep, tried everything and I couldn't get it to light up. The bulb was probably bad, but I can't go buy a new one since I don't know what bulb to buy =P.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just take out the old one and look for the number. My guess is that its a 194 but I'm not positive.
That or give the old bulb to the guy at the parts counter and say, "I need one of these."

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
That or give the old bulb to the guy at the parts counter and say, "I need one of these."
or if you feel embarrassed doing that, have a girl you know do it.... they always help girls lol.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
or if you feel embarrassed doing that, have a girl you know do it.... they always help girls lol.
Especially if they go up showing cleavage:D

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
...Or, you could walk into the parts store and say "I need a cargo light bulb for an '88 Ranger." and they'll look up the number for you....Never mind, I just looked it up on napaonline.com. It's a 912 bulb.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals