• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prewired for OEM fog lights??

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I search this thread Thurday but can remember seeing the answer to my question. Just bought a 1999 4wd Ranger ext cab on Monday and am new to this site.

This morning I bought the fog light valance and fog lights off ebay. Once I get them I was going to figure the wiring/installation. My question is are these trucks prewired?

I just went to a salvage yard to look at a truck and get the plugs I need. There was a plug into the lights and on the other end it plugs into a connector mounted to the body. I snipped behind the one mounted to the body and got that whole section. Came home and looked at my truck and I seem to have that connector mounted to the body.

When I had my 2000 Honda Passport, it was as simple as mounting the lights, plugging them in and plugging in an OEM switch. Is that the case here?

Thanks

Last edited:

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you already have the connectors there, you should be able to just plug in the switch and lights and go. Check your connectors and everything with a volt meter to make sure the wiring and connectors are still good though.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes I believe Ford Prewires their vehicles from the assembly line, this way the dealership can add options with little trouble to trucks.

dhdaniel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
YES & NO

My 06' XLT model has the wiring connector for the switch behind the face plate Right side of the Radio, It does Not have the 2 harnesses under the hood
going to the lights. I have looked thoroughly,

This was also a Project on my list that I really wanted, I like the Stock look.
My 06 takes the Square lights, available on Ebay and elsewhere, But I'll have to run the wires myself.

Still do-able

Dave

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 93, after swapping in my cruise, had it prewired in the cab but not the engine compartment. You should definitely check three places:

1. Behind the trim to make sure you have a connector for the foglight
2. In the fuse/relay box to make sure you have a relay for the fog lights (or at least the connectors in there)
3. The actual connectors in the bumper area

Of course, after I'm done with it this Christmas, my truck will be OEM wired in the engine compartment...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals