• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HID Install

sr975j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just purchased a HID kits for my headlights and fog lights. Just wondering if anybody had some quick tips or tricks for this install. Or maybe if someone had a link or photos of their install. Im kinda lost when it comes to this electrical stuff, im more of a mechanical guy than an electrical guy.

Sam

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
make sure you get some HID pods and do it right........ just because you stick HID bulbs in your Halogen housings does not mean you have HID.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, because the proper housings make all the difference! The reduce glare to other drivers and are designed for the lights and send all of the light where you want it.

Note, You might run into people like me too if you put them in the stock housings, because they are really annoying and I can't see nuthin when people have them. My take on this is they want to annoy me so I'll annoy them Back with 860w of pure KC Power.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The projectors keep you legal as well

STingray1300

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Finally, I found a legit/legal use for HIDs...

Seeing that I'm pretty anti-HIDs (BTDTGTTSWHAI - Been There, Done That, Got The T-Shirt, Wrote Home About It)....twice. I had a couple of HID take-offs (9006), and finally found a good use for one of them.

You may find this helpful, amusing, or even irritating :D

Check it out:

I just VHB taped the ballast to the top of the fuse box under the hood, and added alligator clips to the wire leads to clip to the battery whenever I need liht under the hood (but really, how often will that be? After all, it IS a Ranger, eh? :D )

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, because the proper housings make all the difference! The reduce glare to other drivers and are designed for the lights and send all of the light where you want it.

Note, You might run into people like me too if you put them in the stock housings, because they are really annoying and I can't see nuthin when people have them. My take on this is they want to annoy me so I'll annoy them Back with 860w of pure KC Power.
I'm one of those persons... :D

You don't want to bother dipping your lights, then f%&k you I'll MAKE you dip! :thefinger:

**Flicks on 220w of insanely bright HID Hella madness**

Yea thats what I thought! :icon_rofl: lol

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
glad I am not the only one on the HID crusade.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We need an Illegal HID's Suck social group on here.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I have been ready a lot mag lately and almost ever truck i see with h.i.d headlights has stock or aftermarket halogens housing giving the illusion that they are legal and safe to run because they do..

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lol just to clarify... I don't have HID's in my headlight housings, I just have HID driving lights. I have silverstars in my normal housings.

I agree with everyone that you really do need projector housings if you're going to go HID. Its just plain inconsiderate to have HID's in your normal housings, and really if you're kinda a light junkie like me, you'll realize that the light output is really not any better than a good set of bright Halogen bulbs.

Think of it this way. Normal headlight housings aren't made to properly aim the light emitted from an HID bulb. The way light is emitted is different on an HID bulb than a halogen bulb.

This is a bit of an oversimplified example, but if you were to take a bare HID bulb and hold it up in front of your truck and turn it on, and then turn your normal halogen headlights on, which do you think would project light further, your headlights or the bare HID bulb? Your headlights with the halogen bulbs of course! Yes the HID bulbs are technically brighter than the Halogen bulbs, but the Halogens have a reflector which is optimized for the light they're emitting. The HID bulb doesn't (you're just holding it) Putting an HID bulb in a Halogen housing has a similar effect. You're not correctly focusing the light, and therefore you'll see the road no better than you would using a pair of Silverstar Ultras or Phillips xtreme bulbs.

Or is everyone just putting HID's in their car for the "cool" HID look?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have not problems with HID as long as it is done right. find an HID projector to retrofit into you ride. I have seen Ranger Headlamp housings retrofitted with Lexus HID pods and then there are no glare issues. My problem with them is the glare, personally I want a set of LED headlamps because the consume about 1/10 of the energy and last 10x as long, and are vibration resistant where halogens are not.... and LED headlamps use a similar projector and cut off as HID so lenses should be easy to find.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Even if you did it the right way its still illegal to have them unless your truck came with them from the factory..

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
yeah ... you can apply the same logic to using halogens in a vehicle that came with incadecents......

this would have gone un noticed if all the guys with crappy HID bulbs in a halogen housing had done it right in the first place instead of arguing with everybody that told them to do it right...... see what happens ...... the 3% have to f*ck it up for the rest of us.

STingray1300

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with everyone that you really do need projector housings if you're going to go HID.
There is a misunderstanding about projectors being the solution to HID issues (glare, etc.) Yes, there is a "sharp cut off", but that's created by an internal metal plate in the housing. The reflector is still calibrated for a halogen bulb. Here's a little-observed point about HIDs (no matter the headlight type):
"But what about all the rave reviews you read in magazines and on Usenet about how marvelous HID headlamps are? Well, here's the double whammy of high levels of foreground light: When you can see every last pebble in the road, all the way across, it's very comforting. You don't have to strain to see what's immediately in front of the vehicle. And the most recent research seems to be suggesting that this, to an extent, improves driver performance at night, possibly because with the foreground adequately illuminated, we tend to trust our peripheral vision to handle the foreground, and keep focussed out in the distance where we should be looking. (See above comments regarding too-low levels of foreground light in many US headlamps...). BUT, foreground illumination is *only one* performance aspect of a headlamp, and it's very, very easy to judge a headlamp "good" because of very strong foreground light, when in fact the distance vision isn't so grand. In short (finally!) an HID headlamp has a strong tendency to create a false sense of security."

This applies, projector housings or otherwise. It has been compared to putting someone else's prescription glasses - you might be able to see, but not properly.

Yes the HID bulbs are technically brighter than the Halogen bulbs, but the Halogens have a reflector which is optimized for the light they're emitting. The HID bulb doesn't (you're just holding it) Putting an HID bulb in a Halogen housing has a similar effect. You're not correctly focusing the light, and therefore you'll see the road no better than you would using a pair of Silverstar Ultras or Phillips xtreme bulbs.
Yep! But try to tell people who are "victims" of the marketing efforts. Also, there is only 1 type of bulb base for an HID capsule. Anything made to retrofit (9006, 9005, H4, etc.) are all ba$tard productions, and are NOT authorized by the legitimate manufacturers of HID products such as Phillips and Hella (who do NOT make the HID "kits")

Or is everyone just putting HID's in their car for the "cool" HID look?
Yep, you got it! I too like the LED lighting technology. But LEDs are not quite "there" yet to use in certain applications, such as automotive.

There's lots of reading into this science of lighting, but sadly, people who are the most vehemently supportive of HID conversions tend to be aliterate, and won't read the facts. HID's "problems" are not implementation, they're conceptual. You can argue with physics, but you can't change it.

More reading:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals