• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 Spindle Seal Variations

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey,
I just bought another ranger! Its a 97 4x4 4.0 supercab. I'm in the process of replacing the front oil seal on the pumpkin, and am having trouble sorting out the spindle seals as I put it back together. Im pretty confused, because the right spindle doesn't match the left spindle.

Does anyone know how many variations there were to the spindles over the years? The left spindle has a seal pressed into it, where as the right spindle does not. The seal is pressed onto the axleshaft instead.

There also seems to be a couple extraneous seals, they say "Forsheda 50492" on them. The fit is alot better on the left side than on the right, but both sides are too loose to seal the axleshaft against the spindle.

Are these supposed to be assymetrical? Im guessing that I have a couple different years worth of spindles, and that whoever replaced it didn't do a good job of keeping the parts straight. They also neglected to replace the splined thrust washers and clips on the axleshafts.

Anyone have any guess as to what years I have on my truck? I got frustrated and just slammed it together the way it was when I took it apart, but I'm not confident that I have all the right seals in there. Any help would be appreciated.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I believe the change in seals was for the '93 model year, however there seems to be some overlap (my '94 for some reason had the earlier design seals on it).

IMO, the earlier design seems more durable.

Seals on a '92 shaft:

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks much, that clears up some confusion.

Unfortuneately it looks like I will be redoing the seal job. I made it about 5 miles and the seal blew again, gear oil all over the place. Looks like the mechanic that installed the spindle also neglected to install a passenger side axle shaft bearing when he/she redid the seal. It looked like there was supposed to be another part in there. D'oh!

Hopefully this person didn't have to do any more work on the truck other than the front axles. Probably the kind of person who should be supervised while topping off a radiator.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
That came with the Timken spindle bearing and seal kit SBK4. It's got everything to do it right.

The ?factory? seal on my spindles was a pressed in part kinda like this:

You need the dust cover with either one IMO.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals