• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Want to do a manual 1354 t case swap on a 99

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
How would I wire it so the lights on the dash will still work and will a driveshaft from a 93-97 dana 35 ranger work? I know my cv style shaft won't work.. And as far as the floor pan goes do I just cut a hole in mine?

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
im wondering the same thing brother....there should be a write up on this subject...this forum is badass too im shocked its not in the tech section

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I have a 99 also and I'm going to do this soon so if you guys haven't done it by then I'll post on here with pictures and a how to write up.
Except for the dash switch there should only be a couple sensor wires in the loom that will need to be re-pinned into the appropriate plug to match the manual t-case. As long as the transmission has the needed bolt holes it should be a simple swap. Otherwise a shifter will have to be fabricated to mount to the trans tunnel. I'm gonna try to mount it behind the cup holders that are around the shifter.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cp2295:

Physically, the electric and manual shift bw1354 transfer cases are the same, so the drive shafts can be swapped with no issue (bw1356/4406 is different story). Basically, the difference being electrical has the mount for the motor drilled and tapped, while the manual has the manual shifter drilled out and a position sensor. There are only about 8 parts different between the 2 versions of transfer case; with drill, tap and some plugs, you could convert one to other.

For my '98; the GEMS (computer in dash) controls the dash lights based on 4WD switch position and feedback from the transfer case motor position sensor. Simplest solution to dash lighting is probably a '01+ 4WD Ranger GEMS - doesn't need to have been manual transfer case, Ford programmed GEMS semi generically (there are 4 GEMS - Stripper, 2WD with options, 4WD and Electric powered) . Then cross reference the '99 and '01+ wiring diagrams (my '98 wiring diagram is of no assistance and '01 hasn't arrived yet). Note: This should solve the auto hubs too, otherwise manual hubs are order of day.

I'm getting more carried away - trying to put NVG242 behind M5OD-R2; wish me luck...

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah I got the manual hubs already, I read somewhere you need to change 1 wire but I can't find the thread anywhere. Once I do the swap I'll probably just take everything off the truck that I'm getting the case from as far as wiring goes

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Ok so I did the swap about a month ago. I used a 1986 manual BW1350. It swapped right over but I did swap over the rear output flange to match the 99 drive shaft and I swapped the front drive shaft with the 86 donor drive shaft. I used a grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the floor for the shifter. Other than that it was all a quick and easy swap. I haven't addressed the dash lights that still blink yet. I need to research it still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
1350 case has a slip yoke at the output shaft. for the 1354 to work in the 98 everything will bolt together. your drive shaft will be your setback. you will need one from a 95-i believe 97 explorer 4wd. they are IFS and still ran the dual cardon front shafts instead of the cv style shaft.

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
kind of an old thread but im doing a 4405 to 1354 E swap in my 99 explorer. any of you guys that have swapped out you 1354 E cases to manual have the GEM for them youd be willing to get rid of or swap?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Still haven't figured out the dash wiring but I'll read that thread 93 4x4, but I bolted it up (made a bracket for the TCase linkage since my tail housing didn't have the bolt bosses) and cut a hole in the floor, works pretty good I gotta make something for the cup holders though.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Used a 95-6 explorer front shaft fits perfect

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Can't find that connector, is it underneath the carpet or up under the truck cab?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You've got to unplug the bottom harness from the gems module located behind the radio bezel on the lefthand side and cut the black/blue wire and splice with a wire running to the blue and black wire on the TCase plugin for 4lo, and the grey wire on the bottom row 3rd wire if reading from left to right of the connector if you are looking straight at it. Connect that wire to the blue wire on the TCase module. Should work on any 98-00 mine being a 99

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have any idea which wires to use to make the dash lights work?
The idiot in me would like them to work for when I don't feel like looking down at the shift pattern.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals