• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Neutral SS question

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im putting a m50D in replace of the C3 in my ranger. Question is when I dissconnect the wires that went to the NSS, do I leave them open or solder them together?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Usually on an automatic the NSS connector will also have the reverse light wires as well, which will need to be transferred to the manual trans connector/switch.
Reverse light wire will have 12v with key ON, and when trans is in reverse that 12v is passed to reverse lights
Wiring diagram here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_backuplights.JPG

And yes you can just connect the Starter relay cut off wires together, or rewire for a clutch NSS switch.
One of these wires will have 12volts only when Key is in the START position.
If NS switch is closed(park/neutral) that 12volts is passed to starter relay AND ignition module, so there can be 3 wires involved

This is a '83-'88 wiring diagram: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_StartIgnition83to882_9.JPG

In this diagram it shows just 1 wire in and 1 wire out of NSS for cut out function, so ignition module and relay wires are spliced together at another point, but like all wiring, factory can change back and forth on a whim, lol.

FYI, the reason for the ignition module/coil wire via the NSS is to give the coil the full battery voltage while engine is cranking, the coil only gets about 7 volts via a resistor while engine is running, this lower voltage helps prevent overheating of the coil.
When cranking the battery voltage drops to about 10volts with starter motor draw, via the resistor, the coil would get only 4volts at that time, so very weak spark.
10volts while cranking will be a hot spark which is needed to start cold engine, and 7volts is more than enough to keep it running.

Prior to NSS switches the Starter Relay would have 4 posts, the two smaller posts,"S" and "I" were for Key activated Start, "S" post.
And "I" post for Ignition, it ran to the "+" on the coil, so same idea as above, it gave coil full battery voltage when cranking/starting.

Symptom for a problem is if engine starts while cranking then dies when you let off the key, 7volt wire is bad
Engine doesn't start when cranking but backfires when you let off the key, 10volt wire is bad, backfire is because 7volts sparks at least 1 cylinder when you let off the key.

Last edited:

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome info, thanks. I'm not going to bother with a NSS as the trans doesn't have a port for one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On a manual trans the NSS is a Clutch switch, clutch pedal must be all the way to the floor or starter motor won't activate.
Not "needed" but it is a safety feature

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Heh Heh, I've got the clutch switch jumped out. On the '66 Valiant I had with a Torque flite the NSS died. I was dead broke and busy as all get out to keep us going. I just grounded it out and kept on driving it. Actually it was Marina's "goon hauler" The goons were our 3 precocious progeny. I had taught her to drive and bought her a '66 Bug to take her road test in. I wasn't a patient teacher. 'Rine was a USAF brat and her mother didn't drive. She rode school buses ,hardly ever in a car. So cars were new to her. I drove nothing but old VWs during our courtship and early yrs of our marriage. Despite these obstacles, Rine is great driver. If you observed what gear you were in and if need be what gear. The Valiant would just take off if it was started in drive. "Specially if the choke was a little closed and up on the high idle solenoid. AMHIK !
Other than it being hard to climb into and noisy, Rine had no other critiques. She went out and bought a new kitchen floor and had them load it into the Rat. The flooring outlet was 20 miles away. She drove the Rat better than I did on her test drive. She hadn't driven a manual for over 30 yrs, So not having a clutch switch isn't a problem for her either.

Finally, I get to a general question. When did they start putting CSSs on manuals?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Finally, I get to a general question. When did they start putting CSSs on manuals?
I think NSS's(or "CSS's") were started/added in the early '80s on Ford trucks.
Probably after some one tried to sue Ford because they started vehicle in gear, lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals