• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI wiring?? no start?

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trying to diagnose a no start on my 2.9. Been sitting awhile.
Following procedure and have everything good up until tests wiring going into the TFI module. Getting 12 volts on wire #4 w/ ignition on. Forgot the color. But wire #6 (solid black wire on the end of the plug going into tfi) should be ground. When probing with multi meter. Positive end to positive terminal ground end to back wire on tfi harness im not getting anything. It should be reading 12 volts if the ground is good.
Am I doing this right? Solid black wire is the ground right?

If im right then obviously that ground is shorted. Anyone know where to follow it to? Just sorta goes into a bundle. Thinking of cutting it and running a wire to a known ground. But I want to be sure that the solid black wire going to the Tfi is indeed a ground and should indeed measure voltage when testing in the manner I described.
following procedure here
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/ignition-control-module-tests-1

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tested the coil is working properly first. Put a spark plug in the coil wire and set it on a good ground, turn the ignition on, With a jumper wire jump the coil neg to ground quick touches the spark plug should fire every time to touch coil neg to ground. dont leave the wire on think of it as a trigger. There is a section on the TFI ignition in the tech library that is pretty good I will give you the link.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml
From what I am seeing the TFI module black wire goes to computer pin #16. Check all the chassis grounds especially the ground for the computer pin #20. I`m not sure on the 1988 computer location but the earlier models the computer is on the bulkhead in front of the passenger door behind the plastic kickboard.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Actually I think the ground wire for the TFI module is redundent as the module actually grounds directly to the distributor with the mount screws. There should be no power going to the ground wire that would mean a direct short.

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Coil is testing good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals