• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Won't start on first attempt to crank - then starts 2nd try

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Won't start on first attempt to crank - then starts 2nd try.

It seems to only do it in the mornings, when it's cold. The engine will turn over, but no ignition. In the afternoons when it's been sitting in the sun all day while I'm at work it will crank right up on the first try. Sometimes in the mornings I have to crank it twice, but then the third time it will fire immoderately. I've tried turning it to on, let the pump prime, turn to ff, turn to on and let the pump prime, then turn to start. But even then sometimes I"ll have to crank the engine two or three times.

Fuel pump? Fuel injectors? It has a new fuel filter, and I cleaned the throttle body not long ago.

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Probably wrong; but, my first guess is a bad ground or power wire that heats up on the first try and then makes a better connection.

Sort of like if you have a loose connection in a wall out let in your house. Just sits there until you use it, then heats up and burns your house down.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford only has the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when key is turned on, fuel pump doesn't start again until engine is running.
If you are loosing fuel pressure over night then you may need to "double prime" the fuel system to get enough pressure to start engine.

So try this:
Turn key on and count to 3
Turn key off
Repeat 2 times then crank starter motor

If engine starts right away, and your MPG isn't way down, then either the Fuel Pressure Regulator is leaking pressure thru return line or the fuel pump's check valve is not holding pressure.
If MPG is way down then you have a fuel line leak somewhere.

TFI igntion system is also very old now so parts and wires go bad.
Good read here with testing methods: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Usual issue with TFI is no start when engine is warm/hot, so doesn't fit your description, but failing TFI system will cause a no start, so........

Last edited:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Looks like you already tried what Ron suggested by cycling ignition off and back on to get two prime attempts before starting.

Putting a fuel pressure gauge will tell you right quick if pressure is coming up and also if you are losing pressure while it is sitting.

I had a problem with my explorer but that was in 2002. I noticed long time cranking before it would start. Sometimes stop cranking and start again before it would start.

With fuel pressure gauge I found that yes indeed I wasn't getting pressure and thus wasn't starting. Although the evidence showed somewhat contrary to what Ron said because turning on ignition the pressure might not come up but as I cranked it would so pump had to run again sometime while cranking.

Local guy here said that what I experienced was pretty typical symptom of fuel pump or check valve going out. I had previously eliminated the FPR as a potential issue. Replacing the pump resolved the issue, but again this was a 2002 explorer with V8.

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I've tried the key on, wait a few seconds, key off, and repeat that 3 times. Just yesterday morning actually. Crank but no start, then crank again and start immediately. Once in a while it will start but very weak and rough, then catch and rev up to normal idle speed. Hopefully next week I'll be able to borrow a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone and check that. Oh, and my mpg seems to be in the 12-14 range, with almost all city driving.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals