• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel issue when my truck is cold.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think my high pressure pump is dying. My truck is an 87 2.9 4 x 4 ranger. I have a problem that just started a few days ago. In the morning when its cold "30 ish" I have to crank it a bunch of times until it will start. When its warm "50 ish" it starts right up. I did a test KOEO and KOER. The only code was "77" wot. The fuel pressure is running between 29 psi and 32 psi. I know they want to see 35 to 45 psi. The other issue is when I turn it off the pressure drops back down to o. I did the fuel filter after I did a head gasket. The truck runs pretty good. I am thinking that I should change the high pressure pump as well as pull the bed and replace the strainers in the pumps in my tanks. I am told that there should not be a filter in the fuel canister under the truck like my 86 had.

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having a similar issue with my 89. When it finally does start, does it usually fire right away when you turn the key? I haven't checked my fuel pressure yet but I'm also leaning towards the pump. I'd be interested to know if replacing the pump fixes it for you.

marauderx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Make sure your relays have full voltage coming out of them. If the contacts get bad, they will drop voltage over a high impedance connection. Also ohm out your grounds.

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a similar problem and finally it wouldn't start at all. I pulled the fuel pump relay apart and it was full of corrosion causing a voltage drop to the pump. I cleaned the male plug and replaced the relay - It now runs like new!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals