• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interesting observation on the 2.9L

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
When I pulled the engine from my Ranger to rebuild I discovered the thrust surface on the crank was worn badly and allowed a lot of front to back movement in the crank. I had to have the crank welded and ground to spec.
It seems that Ford thought it was sufficient to have a thrust surface only on the upper half of the bearing.
Fast forward to Saturday and we pulled the 2.9 from my sons 90 B2 to rebuild. His has the same issue with the crank end play. After some brainstorming with my brother we decide it must be because of pressure put on the crank when the clutch is engaged. With only half a thrust bearing the wear on the crank must be excellerated. Both these engines have a jillion miles on them so maybe it's to be expected.
To test our clutch theory, and perhaps find an engine without the problem, I headed to the local pull-n-pay. I found 2 trucks that were automatics and a couple that had manuals. The end play on the engines with automatics was minimal and the end play on the manuals was more like what my 2 engines had.
Has anyone else noticed this, or am I the only nut who is rebuilding high mileage 2.9 engines?
My conclusion: if you are going to get one of these engines to rebuild, get it from a truck with an automatic. So this weekend we will be heading over to pull-n-pay to buy the short block from one of the trucks with the automatic.

Mike Tonon

Interesting

I like the 2.9's, had one in my old 87 Ranger. Had some little issues, but nothing serious. Never burned any oil and the only oil leaks were the valve cover gaskets before I changed them. It had a manual, but I didn't notice this shaft issue.

PAWGEdward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just had the same problem and was told to get my transmission rebuild or the pressure my current trans is putting on the crank will cause the thrust surface to wear again. I have an automatic. Can't remember the persons theory as to what is wrong with my transmission but I figured its not worth throwing more money at it and im going to make it a project truck with a 302.

So it can happen to automatics also, but seemed like it could be solved with a new one or a rebuild.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My dad bought a b2 roughly 10 years ago that had this same problem, though the truck was an auto truck from the factory. Somewhere around .070” endplay in the crank. It sounded like a tick or a knock when it ran. The truck now has a 4.0 and a manual.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
how many miles do you think it takes to get significant crank walk? I've got a 2.9 with 155k on it originally a 5spd.. currenty is auto but thinking of throwing the fm146 back in it.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
how many miles do you think it takes to get significant crank walk?
That is an interesting question. Both my engines were very high mileage. Mine was listed as having 470K and my sons having 285K miles. Of course there is no way to tell if those were still the original engines, we have owned them for less than 6 months.

Do you have a dial indicator to see what your end play is now?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no, lol unfortunately. i put about 10k miles on it with the auto.. wishing i had thrown the fm146 in.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Well I had a successful raid on the pull-n-pay. Found an engine from a B2 with automatic. The end thrust on the "new" one was .008 as opposed to .055 with the "old" one. This one also has good looking bearing surfaces and very little cylinder wear. We plan on just doing a bearing and ring job on this.
The boy is happy to save some bux, and this should keep it running for a few years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals