• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Additive

Quill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Bronco II, 8
Transmission
Manual
They replaced the transmission on my 99 Ranger automatic with one from a salvage yard. I bought this truck with a bad tranny, replaced with a used one and had to warranty it within a month because it crapped out. It's been a long time since I had an automatic. This one just seems slow. I called the shop that put it in and the guy said that is how it is. I would like to put a good additive in the trans to see if that smooths thing out. By the way it shifts fine, it's just when you put it in gear it is not super responsive. This is a 4x4 too. I have had 4 Rangers with manual transmissions prior to this. The hip starts to bother nowadays running a clutch. Thanks for any ideas.

Quill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Bronco II, 8
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I am not much for additives. I am thinking more of switching to Redline fluid.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have no experience to comment on the additives. I have heard some stories of additives freeing up bits of gunk that move to cause more trouble than their sitting where they're at. That might be why others don't recommend them. But, mine is the opinion of a forum reader only...

I think it's just a bit of a clunky, slow shifting automatic. I've been driving mine for about 8 years and have a Honda CR-V (not that smooth either), and had a VW Passat (an Autobahn dream tranny with tiptronic). Both of those make the Ranger seem to shift more like me on a manual when I was 17. Sometimes my 1st to 2nd rolling shift feels like someone dropped the clutch.

Anyway, even though I'm rambling, I think it's just the nature of the beast. I would definitely do a tranny service (drain, refill, replace filter and gasket) if you haven't, and make sure it's done as per procedure by someone who knows what they're doing -- which could be you. That helps mine a lot every 30K.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
Ive used Lucas trans fix, worked good. Any additive however is usually just a band-aid solution.

Runnin'OnEmpty

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger EDGE
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the trans has a delayed low/reverse engagement, you can
improve it by replacing the low/reverse servo O-ring. The servo
is located behind the valve body and can be serviced when the
pan is dropped. It's as easy as replacing the filter. A lot of gunk
accumulates at the bottom of the servo housing, and can be
cleaned out at the same time.

There's also a Superior shift kit available for the 5R44E that
helps with lazy shifts.

I use LubeGard in the red bottle in all my automatics.

ROE

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals