• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for audio electrical gurus...

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
Hey folks!

I'm having an issue with my Sound Ordinance 8BPTD http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD-Powered-8-Subwoofer.html thumping/popping when the Kenwood KDC-BT365U radio http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT365U/Kenwood-KDC-BT365U-CD-Receiver.html is turned on and turned off. Everything is hooked up using a Rockford Fosgate amp kit http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575RFK101/Rockford-Fosgate-RFK10i-10ga-Amplifier-Wiring-Kit-w-RCA.html .

I followed all wiring instructions, did the ground right, using the RCA cable...but there is still that darn popping.

I tried a time delay (NE555 based) circuit, tried a homemade 12v - 5v voltage reducer that was more of a lesson in soldering, and tried different voltage inputs with no success on all fronts. I know I can can Crutchfield and talk to tech support, but i think that'll be a last resort.

Got any ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's just the sub doing what it is suppose to do, amplifying sound that comes to it, it isn't a ground or wiring issue.
Problem is either in the radio or amp and while not good it is "normal".

Many radios and amps have a "mute" relay/circuit on the output, when you power up or power down an electric circuit it will make some noise, the mute relay prevents that noise from going out to the speakers, because of the wattage this noise is more noticeable on subs.

If you have a powered sub, built-in amp, then turn it on and off manually, if it pops then problem is in that built-in amp, powered subs usually have the mute relay, so call manufacturer and ask about it.
If sub and amp are separate then do the same thing but just power on sub amp only and power off

If powering on and off the sub manually doesn't have the pops then it does have the mute relay.
The "pop" is coming from another component, you can just power on sub a few seconds after other components, and power off sub before other components are powered off.

Or replace other component with one that has the mute relay/circuit.

EDIT:
I thought of one thing that might come up, the mute relay/circuit is part of the power on and off "button" on the devices, i.e. when you power on the radio/amp with the button it opens the relay, then powers the radio/amp, then closes relay, when you power off the radio/amp with the button it opens relay first then powers off radio/amp.

If you are not using the on/off button just leaving it on and powering the system with key on/off then you are eliminating the mute circuit.

Last edited:

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Everything that RonD says +

I see that you are referencing Crutchfield item numbers and web pages. Are these just for our benefit or did you actually buy the item from Crutchfield. Oh I see that you did.

If so they offer one of the best lifetime customer service departments that I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. Give them a call, sometimes depending on the head unit they can tell you how to turn on/off a function that is not listed in the manual.

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
Everything that RonD says +

I see that you are referencing Crutchfield item numbers and web pages. Are these just for our benefit or did you actually buy the item from Crutchfield. Oh I see that you did.

If so they offer one of the best lifetime customer service departments that I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. Give them a call, sometimes depending on the head unit they can tell you how to turn on/off a function that is not listed in the manual.

Yes. I bought them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals