• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 - XLT - 98,xxx

SleePac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey folks. First time poster here. Bought the above mentioned truck for my son for his first vehicle. He's excited but we're puzzled by a couple of things.

Seller failed to tell me about the P0171 and P0174 codes that, no doubt, have been showing up over the last little bit. I've studied the heck out of these codes and I have lots of signs pointing to the need to replace the intake manifold gaskets - both upper and lower. This won't be cheap, I'm certain.

Any thoughts from you experts on potential father/son trouble shooting tactics?

Engine feels / looks / behaves very strong and doesn't miss a single bit, that I can tell. No knocks - no misses - no hesitations - behaves very strong.

Just curious if there might be resolutions (other than run Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner or Sea Foam through the tank) that some of you have seen in the past.

Finally, my AC evaporator black plastic housing seems to be dripping excessively - WATER ONLY - nothing oily contained in the water - pure clear water. No water is coming out the AC evaporator tube on the engine firewall - I've run a coat hanger in the tube and have shot high pressure air in to the tube in hopes of jarring the clog - but, there's a chance there's no clog and that all water is simply dripping out the bottom of the plastic box / housing.

Should this be a major concern? Or no concern at all?

Thanks to you all - I truly appreciate any advice you can share.

Andy

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
welcome to TRS!

if the A/C is working, what you are probably seeing is the condensation off of the evap core. it *should* drain out of the drain tube. maybe there is a crack at the bottom of the housing that is draining out of?

upper engine gaskets... I can help you there :) it is not as expensive as you might think, and you guys can do them on a nice saturday without too much issues.

I did this very project about 6 years ago to the day...here is my write up on it:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94437

I think I had about $150 worth of parts in it by the time I was done. I did replace the radiator hose and thermostat as well and a few other minor things since I was in there.

AJ

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The only way to have an older car is to DIY as much as possible :D

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is possible that it could be your intake gaskets but very unlikely. Generally when you get those two codes together (without any misfires) I would check fuel pressure first and I would assume it's the fuel pump beginning to go. The chances of getting lean bank 1 and 2 at the same time from different gaskets on different sides of the engine are pretty rare. You can pretty easily check fuel pressure or just go ahead and replace the fuel pump

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Not true, there is a tsb out for this on the 1997 4.0. The gasket between the fuel rail and lower intake fails between the intake ports and causes both codes.

Low fuel pressure would cause drivability problems under load or wot. But that is easy enough to check the pressure. I would also change the fuel filter first if you do have pressure problems.

AJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while sitting in my underwear

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS SleePac:

So, let's trouble shoot problem before you rip the engine apart...

Codes 171/174 say the engine is running too lean for computer to compensate. Which means either too much air or too little fuel.

I'm going to assume you have access to some tools or can borrow them from somewhere like NAPA, etc.

1. Take a propane torch (kind one historically did plumbing with, not lit, just flowing a little) or can of ether. And go around engine while its running, specifically vacuum hoses, checking for leaks. If revs pick up at some point, you have a vacuum leak. Fix leak and you are done (could be a simple as a hose to as complex as the intake gaskets). If that didn't highlight issue, next:

2. Disconnect the IAC while engine is idling - does it almost (or actually) die? If not, you have bad IAC. If yes, we'll try fuel at this point.

3. Borrow/rent/purchase a fuel pressure gauge (port is on intake manifold). Do you have 56-72psi? (I'm assuming '00) When you rev engine does pressure stay there. If fuel pressure drops, start with fuel filter (actually probably not bad to replace anyways). If fuel filter doesn't solve issue, your looking at fuel pump.

If none of the above has provide a solution, get back to us. And we will go some move scratching of our....heads, and come up with more ideas.

The IAC was issue on my '98 with 170k km which is darn close to your mileage and that was $10/15minute fix. On other hand, my '94 Explorer has leaking intake gasket which '97RangerXLT talked about. My dad and I had Explorer apart, fixed and back together for <$50, the same morning (ok, it was over a decade ago, and I did just the minimum parts, so your cost might be higher).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals