• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange noise after brake change

13kidd

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I changed my brakes about three weeks ago and ever since I have been hearing and feeling this noise that sounds like metal on metal. It does not pull or effect my stopping in any way. At normal driving speeds there is no noise and even when I first apply my brakes there is no noise but the last couple feet of con my to a full stop there's a metal on metal noise coming from the drivers tire.

I have totally taken apart my brakes and rotors three times to try to find the issue and each time it will go away for a couple days and then come back. The first time I took apart the brakes after the change I thought I hadn't tightened down the spindle nut enough so I torques it down more and noise went away for a few days and came back. Then last week I took everything off regressed all the bearings and bearing surfaces inside rotor and again it went away and came back.

The passenger side makes no noise whatsoever and I did everything the same with the drivers side as I did the passengers, could I have gotten a bad inner wheel bearing when I bought my parts? I am completely clueless after tearing into it three times with no fix.Anything helps.

13kidd

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Oh! And the rotors and all bearings were changed also, just thought I'd clarify.

JiKeidan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I thought I hadn't tightened down the spindle nut enough so I torques it down more and noise went away for a few days and came back. Then last week I took everything off regressed all the bearings and bearing surfaces inside rotor and again it went away and came back.
Does it sound more like a grinding metal sound, and how much torque did you put on the spindle?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

PhillipAshfordJr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What kind of brakes did you buy. And idk what kind of breaks you have, shoes in back pads up front?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And how far did you bend the backing plates? You probably have a backer touching the rotor somewhere.

Noflers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same issue about a month ago, except I could feel the brakes grab more during a certain part of the rotation. Found out I had a seized caliper, that fixed the issue. Now the other one is seized, probably should have replaced both calipers at the same time...

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had the same issue about a month ago, except I could feel the brakes grab more during a certain part of the rotation. Found out I had a seized caliper, that fixed the issue. Now the other one is seized, probably should have replaced both calipers at the same time...
Always best to replace brake stuff on both sides of whichever axle you're working on.

I try to do all 4 corners at the same time if I can afford it. :)

ranger1997

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What brand brake pads? Last couple of feet. Brakes are hottest at that point. I'm going to guess it does it only after you have been on the brakes hard or a couple of consecutive times.

Probably both sides are doing it just seems like the drivers side.

I've been thru that with autozone ceramic pads. I really have to get the brakes hot now for it to happen. And like you said no evidence of any damage. I also had everything new. I haven't had it for a long time now.

Next time I will use Wagner thermo quiet pads like I use on everything else .

I went with the AZ pads due to warranty and convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The front brakes on my 02 Ranger had a groaning noise (sort of metallic sound with a shudder) for the last few feet when stopping (when hot) or when going down a long hill. And, on top of that I didn't think it stopped worth a darn. It was the pads.

Changed them to the Wagner thermo whatevers (the middle priced pads at O'Reilly's) and the noise went away. And it stops great, too.

buddieboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
happens to the best once you put the pad on backwards friend ?

Caleb_19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
happens to the best once you put the pad on backwards friend ?
Been guilty of that one.. replaced my wheel bearings and it got late and I was in a hurry to finish up in the dark and put the pads on backwards... not a pretty sound haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals