• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Atx's 94" xcab build

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Well made a lot of progress today . It was slow today at work so after lunch I keep working on the ranger . I had to beat the shit out of the trans tunnel on the driver side like crazy , once that was done I decided to cut the ears of the trans just to be safe for the future tri-y's . It was a tight squeeze trying to get over the radius arm bracket mounts but once in it was golden . I plan on going lower so I'll be ordering the radius arm relocate kit which does away with that cross section . The trans mount crossmember needs a plate to be welded to it so the mount reaches . I bet with swap plates that have been slotted it may bolt up , it's only like 2 inches shy roughly . As for the radiator tuck , it's done . Had to cut out the whole lower support out .going to Weld up a new brace in the next few days for a new lower support . But didn't have to cut the top at all lol . Cut out the side sections also . Plan to find a better radiator down the road once everything all running right . Top explorer radiator hose works perfect , lower I need to find something to work . Using the stock expo clutch fan with ranger 4.0 Shroud . Fan setup is temp for right now still I find a Jeep Liberty fan like I have on my rx7 . Its a 18" electric fan with a big shroud that can be trimmed down . Push big air for sure . Feel good bout what got done today , may have left some things out but I'm getting more pics tomorrow of the trans and exhaust routing if done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

prymetime1

Reaction score
Nice progress mang, do u have the oil relocation on there? Looks tight with the steering box? Looking at yours Is making me worry about the headers I picked up to use, may end up picking the Patriot long tubes up, read they may work for some applications.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Yup if you look at the pic of the steering box you'll see a silver looking block beside it . It's tight but it fits . Still need to buy some high pressure hose for the lines . And mount the oil filter pedestal

prymetime1

Reaction score
Nice, I do see it there now. Any mods to the drive shaft?

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Well got a lot of lil thing done today . Decided to move the trans crossmember up to where it bolt up to the mount and drill new holes . Out of the three bolts that hold the crossmember up to the frame on the passenger side , one still lines up , drilled the other two holes in the side of the frame and done on that side . The driver side is just one hole on the bottom of the frame . Had to shim the mount with spacer plates to level it out some . Need to figure out a new shifter cable mount bracket . Got most the front belt shit done . Need to find a diagram for belt routing and what belt for ac delete . Also trying to figure out what fittings I need to to make the high pressure power steering hose from the expo fit the ranger box . Anyone got info on that ?

And how it sets for the night .

And if anyone wants to now how the trans lines flow to the coolers here's a 2010 cv taxi I installed a trans on . From aod to the last 4r70w built the flow the same . It cool the put it in the casting . I'm also going to test the driveshaft from the taxi and see what's up with at . If so I got a friend said he give me one if that's what I needed .

Last edited:

prymetime1

Reaction score
Nice progress man. Starting to take shape. Interested on the cv drive shaft. I'm hopeful my c4 will be in about the same spot as the stock ish and be able to use the stock d/s. Keep up the good work.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
So not really liked my how the stock 94 4.0 radiator setup was looking and the fact that it's full of crud ,I changed radiator out . I had this 4.0 radiator out of a 2000 Mazda pickup I believe that I took out of a customers car cause the trans cooler lines were cross thread a few months before . Radiator is brand pretty much so what the hell , I'll run to two air coolers if I have to , but my trans builder /coworker said not to worry and just run one air cooler and it be fine . So in order to fit the lower radiator hose I had to cut out the pitman arm guard
/brace I guess you would say . I'll be (coworker with better weld laying lol) making a new brace/lower radiator support out of some square tubing . After I got it out I can use the 2001 5.0 expo lower hose without a problem . Got the high pressure line figured out and will take pics tomorrow of that . Installed almost everything back on the motor . And got my heater hose done. Still need to cut the blower motor Assembly off from the evaporator core section . Also got to measure a cv driveshaft and it measures out to short , so now I'm thinking f150 as the doner . Need to find out what lengths they are . Pics of my hack job lol

Stock which is to short vs cv which is even shorter

Hack job

Lower radiator hose I got (2001 5.0 expo )

And the high pressure hose someone would need if your ranger doesn't come with the right hose to bend straight . Has expo pump fitting and ranger box fitting .

I'm tired today

Last edited:

prymetime1

Reaction score
How's the driveshaft ish coming along mang? Thanks for the use full information too, it's cool to follow a real time swap. I'm hopeful the high pressure hose fits in my older ps pump......

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
As far as the hose goes I just had to straighten out the kinks on the side that bolted up to the box and everything screws together . I was lucky enough to find a older thread on google where the guy said he used a 92 4.0 hi pressure line on his 80 something ranger and modded like above so at first I looked the part up and realized it was almost the same shape as my stock 94 4.0 line . So I tired my line first . Just need to get the new Teflon ring for the pump side .
Well got some shit done today . Pretty much got most of the exhaust routed . Was able to use all the old expo exhaust system chopped and re welded back together . Running one cat each bank for emissions inspection and then hopefully by the end of the year I'll get my tri'ys and a few other things and just swap exhausts out for inspection . Got 3 more years til this bad boy can be registered as a antique lol . My 87 Mazda rx7 is already tagged antique [emoji106]? welded up a lower radiator support/brace/guard out of some square tubing . Came out pretty damn nice and will function as a skid plate mount , which I'm also making out of a old cv police skid plate . Being low and wanting to go lower need all the front protection I can get .

Driverside exhaust

Passenger side

Don't knock the welds my coworker had to fill in some big gaps in someplaces
This is him welding up the support

And how it came out . Need to finish welding , ran out of time at work

I'll get more pics of the exhaust when finished with it tomorrow hopefully

prymetime1

Reaction score
Sweet progress mang. I ran into lower rad support issues too. Going to see what I can make work. Don't really have access to welding. :/ are u routing the exhaust all the way back? Thinking of dumping mine in front of the rear tires if possible. Keep at it!!

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Well not liking how the motor sat tilted (passenger side higher the driver ) I decided to find a different mount for the passenger . Ended up grabbing a f150 mount from the mid 80's and with a lil adapter plate welded up . It sets so damn level now is awesome . Still have clearance for the I beam in the back side . Im happy and now my trans mount sets flush . So In the end I have the driver side mounted with a 4.0 mount and plate . And the passenger side the f150 mount with adapter weld to the frame. So I can still replace with oem mounts lol. 8.00 for the f150 mount lol

Also took the fan of my rx7 for a mock up /test run fits good with the 98+ 4.0 radiator just had to trim the lower mounts on the fan and they slid right into the 4.0 clips for the lower part of the fan shroud . I'm going to the jy the weekend and going to grab another fan since the shroud is modded for my rx7 . The shroud will cover the whole radiator for the most part .

Also had a fellow 5.0 member pic up the expo center console and overhead display/lights since I need some cash for the mount and oil relocate hoses . Grabbed a couple pics of his 98 2.3 chassis with a 97 expo rwd 5.0 . Looked so oem for the most part ( besides the motor mount brackets really ) . Cool dude that just joined the forums .

Last edited:

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Im dumping mine in front of the the passenger side rear tire because of the gas tank . My coworker said he has a fuel cell he'll give . But I'm going to wait on that install since I need my truck back lol ( I miss it ) . When I go tri's I'll redo the piping then and dual out in front of both tires [emoji106]?

Pry . Theirs holes in the frame and you can drill new holes and do a bolt in crossmember with so good brainstorming [emoji108]

Don't clown on the welds we realized the gas wasn't on lol and went back over again after grinding [emoji53]

Last edited:

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Well got just a few small thing done today since work was busy . Got the ecu mounted in it home with the template I'm goi g to use on some sheet metal I have . Fit perfect in the spot where the evaporator core sat . Ecu plug reaches with out a problem . Going to wrap the heater core lines In Heat wrap since it close to the connector . Since I plan on keeping atleast the heater but haven't split the blower motor yet , I found a temp plug . It's a Folgers plastic led from the red containers. It fits perfect with some silicone to hold it in place .

I know this build should be in the v8 section but I'm down to wiring now ,and guidance with this 94 is appreciated. I found another thread where this person said it will atleast start with these wires . I have every 42 pin wire label and. Separated those wire from the bunch . I'll figure it out regardless but insight would be cool also . Need to finish up the welding on the lower support once I get a lift free and some down time . Waiting impatiently to get to the jy this weekend for a driveshaft , or the trans is get a butt plug for start up [emoji774] door lol . Everyone that sees the truck tells me either " you gonna run through tires boy" (I'm 33 ) Or "that thing going to be a fun lil hotrod " . With the tri's this winter and hopefully a tune and some more suspension work it will . I'm going to install the traction bars from the expo and see if it helps , if there's a issue .

What is anybody experience with swapping from 3.73 to lower 3.18's . I have the gears from my father in laws 2011 with a 8.8 . He swapped out to 3.73's and I have his old set . The reason I ask is his mustang is a 5 speed if I remember right . I'm 4 speed . My 6.0 cam'd ls2 trailblazer ss has 4'10s and a fully built trans and I can't really play with people besides at lights up to around 50 ( me pulling hard ) or so and after that it depends on what gears and trans they running and its side by side or them slightly pulling til higher and they walk . That my wife's ( realtor ) daily , which I've been jealous about since my rx7 became a night highway bawler . So one of the reasons for the 5.0 lol

Well enough rambling here's a couple pics of what got done today

Damn sun

And the wires I believe should atleast start it and hood back on .

And a snap pic of the thread I got the Info from

Last edited:

prymetime1

Reaction score
Bro thats some good progress today...way to wack at at. Thanks for the folders top tip, I'm stealing that one from ya haha. I'm hearing the same stuff from the ppl stopping by my rents while we are at it....keeps me motivated, I can't wait for smoky burn outs! I'm 35 but still a kid at heart.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Well got a lot done and only a few pics today . I'll get more . Got my exhaust done all the way past the cab where it dumps straight out for now . My coworkers think I should get some flowmaster 40 series ? And one said he'd buy them for doing some work on his new 55 Chevy .What do you guys think ? I've always been a magnaflo / borla kinda guy . Also welded up a shift cable bracket and that's all down and shifts into every year with no binding on the cable . Oil relocate lines are attached and biggest filter I could find on the shelf installied . Welded mounts for the trans cooler on the lower support . Started bending out and running the metal trans line to fit my needs . Radiator finally back In with Efan . Need to make rubber mounts for radiator mounting and wire fan . Got the ac delete serp belt on . And some other random stuff figured out . Just a few pics

Serp belt for ac compressor delete setup

Going to trace out the template for the ecu mount on to sheet metal and cut that out . And hopefully get everything wired and maybe atleast give it a start before the end of the day .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals