• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1973 VW Campmobile Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 conversion

dfmastin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
VW
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hey Rangers,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=639330&highlight=
I have a vw bus with one of "y'alls engines" or I should say an engine y'all may be familiar with. My VW forum friends are pretty great and I'm making good progress learning about my vehicle but I am almost a complete noob when it comes to autos and engines. I've changed the fuel filter and fuel pump, but that's about it. You can see pictures via the link above. I found on this page: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8L_Performance.html
that I'll need 5 quarts for an oil change. Does that sound correct and what oil would you suggest? If you have any thoughts or suggestions about this engine please let me know. Thanks David

Kevin Evans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
5 quarts sounds correct. I just filled it and checked the dipstick (then drove it and added a little more).

I used 10w-30 dino oil since it was pretty cheap at Costco and in my mind, it would probably work just fine for the engine. I did read that a couple of people were using 40 weight though. YMMV.

Doing a valve adjustment seemed to change how the engine runs quite a bit I noticed, so if that hasn't been done in a while, you ought to do it. Also remember to buy a new valve cover gasket before you do it :icon_thumby: If you'd like, I can scan the service manual page on this.

Good luck!

PS:
I did notice the pressure gauge is a little high using a non-motorcraft filter (I think I bought one of those high-milage filters). The correct filter is the Motorcraft FL1A.

Last edited:

dfmastin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
VW
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks Kevin! I very much appreciate your thoughts. What service manual do you have? I should get one. All my VW manuals have aircooled engines.

5 quarts sounds correct. I just filled it and checked the dipstick (then drove it and added a little more).

I used 10w-30 dino oil since it was pretty cheap at Costco and in my mind, it would probably work just fine for the engine. I did read that a couple of people were using 40 weight though. YMMV.

Doing a valve adjustment seemed to change how the engine runs quite a bit I noticed, so if that hasn't been done in a while, you ought to do it. Also remember to buy a new valve cover gasket before you do it :icon_thumby: If you'd like, I can scan the service manual page on this.

Good luck!

PS:
I did notice the pressure gauge is a little high using a non-motorcraft filter (I think I bought one of those high-milage filters). The correct filter is the Motorcraft FL1A.

dfmastin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
VW
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Just got advice from a friend and he suggested new plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets due to oil seepage. I should probably at least think about a valve adjustment if I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets. Nice manual. I guess I'd be good with any vehicle's manual that uses this engine. Lemme see what I can find and thanks for your advice! :icon_thumby:

I have the Ford Ranger/Bronco II shop manual that I found on eBay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/281626783860?_mwBanner=1

dfmastin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
VW
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Any favorites for spark plugs and wires for this engine? Or just head to parts store and let them fix me up? Please direct me to a thread if this has been covered. Thanks!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
autolite single platinum AP-105 are also really good plugs

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I've always had good luck with the Motorcraft wireset (WR4010C) and their aforementioned plugs (SP-486). I would also suggest using the Fel Pro Permadry rubber valve cover gasket set (VS50115R). If your experience is like mine, the cork gaskets are awful, and you'll be replacing them every couple of years - if not more frequently.

dfmastin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
VW
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks Shand and Kim. I appreciate your suggestions.
I went with what the part store had in stock regarding wires and with plugs I went with nickel as l'm not sure about my ignition coil and VW folks caution against the plat and iridium plugs.
Installed NGK V-Power plugs.
Also installed some generic (Omnispark) plug wires.
I also purchased a distributor cap and rotor, but the cap I bought had screws and the one I have installed has straps, so I put that on hold.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Hmm, this is odd that someone would swap a 2.8L V6 into something...course I guess coming from the original VW engine the 2.8L V6 would be an upgrade I assume LOL.

I've had 2 vehicles with the 2.8L V6, a Bronco 2 and a Ranger. The engine itself is bulletproof...the stuff attached to it...i.e. computer, and carburetor are problematic after a while.

Yes, the engine uses 5 quarts of oil for a complete oil change...I think its like 4-1/2 if you don't change the filter...but at that point why bother changing the oil if you don't change the filter too LOL.

Stock form its a 170.4 CID, approximately 130 to 160HP.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals