• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Did the Impossible Tow 50 miles(very stupid)

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I towed 5000 Lbs today with my 2.5 auto!!

The company I work for has 2 trucks and 2 trailers. Well one of the trucks is a 1999 Dodge Ram that constantly has issues. He broke down in Glendale today and the other truck is in Tucson(Extremely F'ed situation) Basically the tow truck took his truck but not the trailer. He calls me and begs me to come down there. Of course I'm very nervous but also realize the company will be responsible here since I was told by my superior that me towing the trailer was the only option. So I Hook up 5000 lbs of trailer to my four bangers bumper hitch rated for 2000 pounds and of course my bed is hilariously low(Im used to this as I move the trailers 6-10 feet at the storage yard to get in them for tools all the time because they are back to back). Truck actually Idles fine, of course, but I feared towing 50 miles to the storage. My truck performed great under this heavy abuse and I am very proud. Did 55 mph in the right hand lane all the way back and though I can defenently feel the trailer I moved it OK! Very slowgo but at 55 mph I can keep it there. Engine worked real hard today and earned a good rest. All I can say is anyone with a V6 and receiver hitch worried about 4000lbs...GO AHEAD AND TOW IT NO PROBLEM. Btw my bumper didn't warp or bend at all

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Your lucky, the bumper is most likely the original OEM when the bracing was welded. Now Ford makes that bumper a 2 bolt-on. I just had my 03 replaced with OEM and it still has a small twist new. Also you may not notice it but more than likely you stretched the ball mount hole out.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
so what was the company going to do when you crashed with an overloaded vehicle? they could have rented a truck to tow that

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
so what was the company going to do when you crashed with an overloaded vehicle? they could have rented a truck to tow that
Shouda coulda didnt...Did I mention my dads the owner:annoyed:. He would tell me what an idiot I was for crashing Im sure...........

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
wow, just dont do it again, it may damage your trans.
the 2.5 is a tough mother fouker man.
i usually carry from 1500-1600 lbs on my trucks bed.
the other day i had to move a bigger load, 2200lbs
i did it with no problem, i thought the engine was going to give up, cuz it had to make a good couple of climbs and then pass a muddy road. instead of giving full gas and downshifting i had to apply brakes cuz the truck wanted to catch speed lol.
i love my 2.5 and my 5speed :3gears:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
too bad you didnt take some pics. heres some pics i took last winter. transported a load of oak firewood in my 6x10 trailer. compressed the rear end clear to the bumpstops and caused the front end to lift some. not much weight on the front axle for stopping! would slide tires trying. dont know what it wieghed, maybe better off not knowing. went from one end of town to the other, in 4 low with the front hubs unlocked.
total distance was under 10 miles, i wouldnt have wanted to go above 40 with the way it was loaded. yes, i do have a receiver hitch and the 4.0, i would like to get trailer brakes someday. the trailer itself is rated for 2,000 pounds cargo. weighs 1,000 empty.

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
wow here's a cookie

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Trailer brakes are a must for us peewee truck drivers LOL. Its not that our trucks cant do it. Its just not safe or desirable. I myself can pick up 300 lbs and move it as far as I need to(as drilling the firemans carry in Iraq), its just not desirable.LOL

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your lucky, the bumper is most likely the original OEM when the bracing was welded. Now Ford makes that bumper a 2 bolt-on. I just had my 03 replaced with OEM and it still has a small twist new. Also you may not notice it but more than likely you stretched the ball mount hole out.
:icon_confused:

If the ball put any load on the hole itself it was loose, the clamping action between the ball itself and nut is what carries the load, not the threaded stud against the bumper.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sry not trying to be an ass but that fing stupid why the hell would you tow that off a bumper. if you bumper would of bent or broke the bolts you could of killed someone this is why i have a huge problem with people towing shit on there bumper im sry again but its just stupid as hell

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I always towed on the bumper.

As long as you have SAFETY CHAINS attached PROPERLY to the FRAME even if the bumper fails you'll still be alright.

later,
Dustin

nate09

Reaction score
too bad you didnt take some pics. heres some pics i took last winter. transported a load of oak firewood in my 6x10 trailer. compressed the rear end clear to the bumpstops and caused the front end to lift some. not much weight on the front axle for stopping! would slide tires trying. dont know what it wieghed, maybe better off not knowing. went from one end of town to the other, in 4 low with the front hubs unlocked. total distance was under 10 miles, i wouldnt have wanted to go above 40 with the way it was loaded. yes, i do have a receiver hitch and the 4.0, i would like to get trailer brakes someday. the trailer itself is rated for 2,000 pounds cargo. weighs 1,000 empty.
for future reference..... taking some of the wood and moving it to the back would have reduced tongue weight and lessened the amount of weight pulling the rear of your truck down. that would have put more weight back on the front end for steering and stopping.

quitsum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
yamaha
Transmission
Automatic
I accept with information: the bumper is most likely the original OEM when the bracing was welded. Now Ford makes that bumper a 2 bolt-on.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
for future reference..... taking some of the wood and moving it to the back would have reduced tongue weight and lessened the amount of weight pulling the rear of your truck down. that would have put more weight back on the front end for steering and stopping.
just for a note for anyone that reads this, that is a bad idea. it will cause the trailer to sway... there is a reason you put 60% of the weight in front.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals