• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 5.0 into 00 ranger

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
I have 2000 ranger xlt 2wd and Im doing the 5.0 swap with a 99 eddie bauer awd donor. the donor has minor front end collision damage and has 61xxx miles on it. I also have a limited access to a 95 mustang for small parts, and a 88 fox body jasper auto trans. I plan on doing a basic plug and play(to an extent) swap. and just wanted to ask if the 88 5.0 jasper auto trans out of the mustang will work in my truck with the swap. prob not right? and besides that any 4r70w 2wd should work right?.. I've been using the search button I swear lol.. but uuhh let me know what yall think..tips, suggestions whatever.. your 2 cents is valued here. :icon_pepsi: Also doing the disc brake axle swap too

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sure guessing that the Jasper trans won't work for the same reason that a '96-97' ('98'? maybe also) Explorer 4R70 won't work, too many internal changes that the computer is looking for.
Dave

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Thanks, looks like im heading to the junkyard for a similar year low miles 2wd 4.6/5.0 4r70w collision vehicle's trans. Tear it apart and refresh it, i wanna do a shift kit im it but idk which one to pick. Im stuck between a transgo unit or the good ol Jmod. I was gonna kso the whole, "do i have everything i'll need?" thing, but i'll need the actual post for later reference anyways so i'll look around some more.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Ok, i have a few questions about converting this awd trans from the explorer to 2wd. I read that you need to gut the trans to replace the output shaft and put on a different tail housing.correct? I also figure that i might. As well take it somewhere that can install it and refresh the rest of trans that was i'll have a warranty if something should happen down the road. I was also contemplating putting in a transgo shift kit, or any recommended brand with proven results. Or perhaps the good ol Jmod, as i hear is better for your trans. Would it be worth it or should i buy a junkyard 4r70w 2wd or somethin? Suggestions, comments, ideas, tips, or whatever you have to say is always welcome. Thanks.

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Just got the donor today, apparently she has had the engine replaced, and the trans rebuilt previously, who knows. Po removed the ps pump,ac, and alt, but thats fine as its getting new ones anyway. And a water pump too as it was damaged in the accident. But yeah, thats her

Attachments

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
I got the engine trans and exhaust all at once which was pretty cool. But, what now? My truck is 2wd so could i just gut the transfer case and use the explorer driveshaft? Im swapping my drum brake 8.8 for the explorer axle anyways, so would that work? Im also looking into finding a cam for it, but it seems like the explorer ecu doesnt like to adapt to them very well. Unless i could tune it somehow, i heard something about using a mustang ecu but idk much about that.

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Can I use a crown vic trans?

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4R70w will plug right in to the explorer harness so that will be easiest route to take by far! Mustangs, mark 8's, and maybe F-150 all used them just find you a 2wd or your will have to swap out tail housing and output shaft! I used entire explorer rear end just cut shock mounts flipped it and welded them on and it bolted it, but it's either 1\2 or 1" wider!! Good luck

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Oh okay thanks, because I don't want to gut this trans at all, I just pulled the explorer 8.8 with the discs and what not, I'm gonna lower the rear 3 inches, I hope to accomplish that with a flip kit, and the front 2 inches, idk the best way for all that just yet. The 5.0 will stay stock for now besides bolt ons and MAYBE a mild cam, if I can find one compatible with the ecu, might use a stang computer, idk if that'll work or not. Stock headers, and x pipe for the exhaust so far, idk about mufflers just yet but I know I want dual side dumps before the rear tires, maybe a shift kit, probably j mod, 245/60/15s up front and 275/60/15s in the back on some a.r.e. blades I have. Repaint hood,new grille, also black, and if i can find a decent looking ranger/explorer front bumper with fog lights that's next. Slight window tint, maybe smoked tails. She's gonna be a lil somethin somethin lol..

Attachments

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ran stock cam just installed 1.7 lifters should not bother the comp so bad, and a custom build exhaust with high flow cats

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Has a good sound! No problems from computer put 1st 50 miles on the truck yesterday

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals