• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 5.0 into 00 ranger

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Jegs or summit just look for 1.7 pedestal mount I think extreme energy

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Always best to also the valve springs, stock ones are weak. When picking a 4R70 trans, best to be sure to match the year of trans to the CPU, internal differences will cause problems. You're probably going to need the wiring diagrams for both vehicles to check compatibility and functions. Some of the 1.7 rockers will have interference with the stock valve covers at the baffle (easy fix) or at the corners of covers. Pretty sure the FRPP's fit.
Dave

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Always best to also............
Dave

I'm looking at a rebuilt 99 crown vic trans, I'll check the wiring like you said, I'm also thinking about putting in a transgo shift kit as well, maybe, whichever is better for the trans. As far the the 1.7s, really wanna make sure the computer will accept them before i go mess with it. I have some 24lb injectors maybe i should remove pats and out those in and use a scct tuner.

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1.7 Rockers are working with stock valve covers and comp. no problems! I did use comp beehive springs due to the reported weakness in stockers!!! Also had P heads worked a bit. Love the sound

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
1.7 Rockers are working with stock valve covers and comp. no problems! I did use comp beehive springs due to the reported weakness in stockers!!! Also had P heads worked a bit. Love the sound
Any vids? I'd love to hear it

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Okay im starting over, my original 5.0 was missing accessories and had an awd trans. So picking up a same year (2000) drivetrain out of an explorer with 124k running and driving! I suppose all I need now is the oil filter relocation kit. And to get my pats reprogrammed.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you really want one, I don't think you'll need an oil filter relocation kit -- the rack and pinion Rangers with the Explorer's right angle oil filter adapter is a working solution.

Last edited:

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
you don't need to get the PATS reprogrammed.....just pull the PATS from your donor and put it in your ranger. The PATS from your donor already recognizes the motor and ECU. I pulled the PATS from my donor put it in my Ranger and got everything plugged in and it fired first try

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Unless you really want one, I don't think you'll need an oil filter relocation kit -- the rand pinion Rangers with the Explorer's right angle oil filter adapter is a working solution.
What do you mean?

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
I know its been a while, busy with life and other swaps but i have my new engine and trans now!

uploadfromtaptalk1408933924241.jpg

But let me take a few steps back here..

The donor:
uploadfromtaptalk1408934016039.jpg

Double trouble lol

uploadfromtaptalk1408934241377.jpg

Last edited:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What do you mean?
Guess my typo confused the my statement:

On the later Rangers with rack and pinion steering, there's a lot more room between the 5.0 engine block and steering unit.

Add in the Explorer 5.0 engines used a right angle adapter to move the oil filter forward and you've already resolved the oil filter/steering gear interference problem.

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Guess my typo confused the my statement:

On the later Rangers with rack and pinion steering, there's a lot more room between the 5.0 engine block and steering unit.

Add in the Explorer 5.0 engines used a right angle adapter to move the oil filter forward and you've already resolved the oil filter/steering gear interference problem.
I figured thats what you meant. Didn't wanna take any chances. But its too bad I had already purchased the Hayden kit that was recommended.

t_wo.and.t_one

Reaction score
Could someone clarify this wiring procedure further? From what I've read i have to use the explorer power cables with the ranger accessory harness. Also can use ranger ground. But what about the low oil sensor? Its not on the ranger harness that I see...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals