• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ranger Fuel or Ignition Problem?

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
My dad just recently bought two Rangers and the one I am going to ask about is the 1991 2.3L with a manual transmission. When you turn the key to start the truck it does not turn the engine over which makes you think it is the ignition. The the guy who owned it before put a push button start in but the fuel pump does not come on when the key is in the run position.

So where do I start, should I just chalk it up to the ignition?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like ignition is likely, but there should be a power relay, check the relay to be working first. My truck I just had to put a starter button in because it wouldn't send enough voltage to the solenoid to kick the starter on, but my fuel pump runs.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Did you check the clutch pedal safety switch? The switch must close with the pedal to the floor to allow the starter motor to engage & crank the engine. You can jumper to test, but it is recommended you replace the switch if bad.
The ignition switch itself may also be a cause of the problem, as they can start to come apart with enough age. You can remove the column cover and inspect the switch appearance to see if it is becoming un-crimped and springing apart. The wire loom connector will start to pull the switch apart with age, leading to poor contact internally.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals