• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44 O/D Light Flashing

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Today on my drive home, my o/d Light came on and started flashing. I pulled over and restarted the truck and everything was fine. Before the light went on I was driving on very snowy roads in 2wd and may have been gently spinning my tires for about a mile or so. Could that light have went off because I was spinning so long and the computer thought transmission was slipping?

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hard to say but this same thing happens to me (5R44E) on occasion. The next time it occurs, count the flashes of the dash light. I believe it's flashing out a two digit code. There should be a series of flashes, a pause and then another series. Then, it should repeat. This will give you a clue as to what the tranny control module thinks is wrong. When I have an issue it's between the 4th & 5th shift points right around 60 mph. I've used my 4x4 quite a bit this winter, including this morning, but haven't had any trouble (knock wood).

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Mine looked to be the same constant flash. I thought about that.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Every time it's happened to me, I'm driving @ ~60 MPH and it's kind of hard to stare at the dash, to count flashes, for any length of time. :D

Il Brutto

02/2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it ain't broke...fix it before it does.
This should be in the problem thread in order to help others easily find solutions to similar problems

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just as an update, it has not came back on yet. However, I did help pull a friend out of a ditch and I was spinning in 4 low on a dirt road for a while and the speedo quit working, and it wouldn't shift out of first. However, once I restarted the truck it worked fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals