• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 won't engage 1995 Ranger 4.0L

RangerDanger8819

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and hoping for some help. I recently bought a ranger and the 4x4 did not work from day one.

I found out that it had an explorer GEM module in it, so I got the specific one for my truck. Still nothing, Then I replaced the Transaxle Shift Motor.....still nothing. What should I do. The lights on the dash only come on when I first start the truck. I'm not sure what that means.

I was reading a couple of other posts about switching to a manual lever. How difficult is that?

Thanks.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Check your fuse under the hood. Check all electrically connections and see if there's power. Also, check your switch/push button on the dash. Also, check your magnetic pickup attached to the motor. Never heard of adding on a manual shifter but then again, Ive been wrong before. Always have the option of swapping t-cases to something like a manual BW1345 from a fullsize bronco

chen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Check fuse number 17, left side of the dash. My 96 never worked when I got it. Control module was bad on mine. I hot wired the electric motor on the transfer case.

RangerDanger8819

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the incite guys! I'll give it a shot.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
your 95 not only has a GEM module behind the radio but a 4wd control module in the cab.....
i had the issue with my ranger and STILL never got it working right.... i even had an electrician friend who does car wiring for a living come over and rip things apart.

i'll help the best i can.
you said you replaced the GEM.......expensive from the dealership!
if it was from the scrapyard you MAY be replacing one bad GEm for another....trust me......i know.

start with the 4wd control module however. this is usually what wiull give way first. it is located either behind the moulding by the passengers side foot area (behind the panels) or under the rear window behind the panelling.
it's a cool box looking thing with a white push button tester....or was it red.... well either way you can push the button and it should light up!

the next is the motor itself. there's a great write up on how to clean the motor in there.

next is the wiring under the seat going TO your motor. this can sometimes cause a short in the coupling there. make sure it's clean...no frayed wires and put it back together with some nice dielectric grease.

and lastly is the shift knob itself...... it's a resistance switch...you should be able to test the difference in resistances with a meter..... i cannot tell you the specific resistances....but you will see them. it's very low.....
if that tests out then you may want to call a dealer and check into a GEM unit...brand new GEM unit....very pricy.

and if all else fails.....welcome to installing a manual shift transfer case!

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 4x4 on a 95 is controlled by the GEM and does NOT have a separate 4x4 control module. Switch, GEM, shift motor, that's it.
EDIT: There is a relay for the 4x4 also that rotates the motor when signalled by the gem, it's up in the center of the dash too but I don't remember exactly where.

Last edited:

RangerDanger8819

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hondaxr650 and Guilius Thanks for the incite! Guilius, I'm starting to lean more and more towards the Manual T-case......I hate all this electrical bullcrap. I've been doing alot of reading on hear. It sounds like it might be worth it.

Oh and hondaxr650 you are correct, the GEM module controls the 4x4, and i got it from a salvage yard....they assured me it worked, but I guess there is no way to know.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
that's odd Hondax...mine has one right below the rear window in the extended cab....still there even though i swapped to a manual case! still works as far as i know when we were troubleshooting....

and you are correct...there is a relay behind the radio next to the GEM module.... mine was clipped in ......way down on the right hand side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals