• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Passenger side seat handle broke off

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have a 1998 for ranger and the seat lever to get in the back seat area was broke off when I bought the truck. It's at the plastic star part that helps it roatate. Does that piece just pull apart or do I need to take apart the seat. Thanks for the help guys!

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank so for the link but that is not the part of the handle that broke off of mine. Mine has what looks to be a two sided plastic lever and there is a star like plastic piece that it connects to the seat. The star part is the piece that is broken. It is a 60/40 seat in a 1998 ranger extended cab

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Thank so for the link but that is not the part of the handle that broke off of mine. Mine has what looks to be a two sided plastic lever and there is a star like plastic piece that it connects to the seat. The star part is the piece that is broken. It is a 60/40 seat in a 1998 ranger extended cab
There's a screw in the shaft end of the handle that one removed to slide off the handle. The shaft is splined.

Sounds like all the broke was the plastic, so a trip to the JY should fix you up.

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/74312/image/2/
The handle looks like this one with the star piece in the middle and a space for a hand on each side. Not like this one
http://i3.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/ed/35/cc6f_35.JPG
Than can be screwed from the outside.
You have to pull the handle off the start part to get it off, and the start part is the part that is snapped.
You mean the metal shaft is broken?

That's the same handle as the used on the seats from a 2000 Ranger that I put in my 1995. IIRC there was a screw in the shaft end that one screwed out and then the handle would slide off, possibly with a wire clip (my memory is shot and I'm too lazy to go look right now).

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No it doesn't seem to be the metal shaft, it's a plastic gear like piece at seems to be about 1-2 inches long and about the size of a sharpe. It goes directly into the seat lever on the passenger right side by the door

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
No it doesn't seem to be the metal shaft, it's a plastic gear like piece at seems to be about 1-2 inches long and about the size of a sharpe. It goes directly into the seat lever on the passenger right side by the door
IIRC that is actually part of the handle which has cracked from the main plastic. I'll have to look at my seats again...

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cool let me know what you find out. I can putt the broken part out of the handle easy. I tried to pull the other end out of the seat bracket and it won't budge. Thanks for the help so far guys, hope we can figure this out!

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
[/URL] [/IMG]

[/URL] [/IMG]

Ok here are pictures of the passenger seat lever. I haven't seen any rangers that look like these. You can see the broken plastic piece in first picture. I know it goes with this seat because it directly matches the piece in the seat. Anyone have any idea on how to fix it?

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
NO one has seen this style of handle??

ocdogger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem, and it seems most folks have a different lever setup than ours.
Hope you got it fixed, or someone else has an idea to help besides switching out the whole seat.

Matty B

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have a 1998 for ranger and the seat lever to get in the back seat area was broke off when I bought the truck. It's at the plastic star part that helps it roatate. Does that piece just pull apart or do I need to take apart the seat. Thanks for the help guys!
I had the same thing happen all I did was take out the screw and the broken peice came off and I grabbed the other end with pliers and it reclined

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
If it is the standard 60/40 passenger seat that uses the spring clip on the plastic star..... you are screwed. You have to get a whole assembly (if you can find one) that requires taking the seat apart. I save myself time and just bought a used seat for $50. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals