• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2wd want discs have questions

thmpsn70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 ranger, 30
Make / Model
1990 mustang ra
Transmission
Manual
i have checked the tech articles i have seen and mybe i just have not found the right one, and to be honest being that this is "the ranger staion" im surprised this question isn't beat to death, but here goes, I have an 88 2wd short bed standard cab V8/T5 I'm going to use for drag racing, I want to narrow a 95up disc brake explorer 8.8 and use it under my truck(stronger than the 7.5. i only have to carry 1 spare axle with both being the short side axles, 31 spline) my question is "Who has done something similar? mine has manual brakes now, what master do I need? will the one i have on my truck work?prefer actual experience answer not just "i heard from a friend that has a buddy" type answers, if you know of a thread do share it, I do know how to read,, thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, haven't done it.
Yes your master will work but not as well as Master designed for 4-wheel disc brakes, pedal will go down farther.
Drum brake slaves need less fluid than disc brake calipers, so the master you have now will send less fluid to the rear, by design.
Generally the rear disc caliper's piston will be smaller than the front, but since you are doing a swap I would check diameters.
A 4-wheel disc brake master would be better to use, I think some Mustangs had those without power assist

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals