• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another brake line replacement thread...

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, Just got my 99 4.0 4x4 5spd with 4 wheel ABS running. I took it around the block for a first drive and limped back with a blown brake line- drivers front line rusted out. I've run new lines before but usually just get the preflared lenghts from the parts store. This will be my first time flaring and running all new lines.

I've read as many article and threads here and on other ranger/explorer forums as possible, but I still can't figure out ho many fittings I will need and what sizes and styles I'll need. Autozone's website doesn't even give great answers. I believe I'll need 3/16 line? What style fittings are on the ABS unit? To the rubber lines? The rear lines on the differential seem to have been replaced, so I will be stopping at the rubber lines.

Thanks!

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's an excellent write-up! Thanks! My system isn't exact being 4 wheel abs, but seems similar enough. I really don't want to to make multiple trips to the parts stores...

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Done!

For a 4 wheel abs truck, 25 feet of 3/16" line and a 5 pack of 3/8-24 fittings are all that's needed to run lines from the abs controller to each rubber line. There is one Union around the torsion bar mount, but that can be bypassed if you wish.

Kroeter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Rex2nr,

Thanks for info. Just did half of the rear and replaced a rear cylinder. I'm sure I'll have to do other rear side and fronts soon.

How much of a PITA was it to run the front lines??

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The drivers side wasn't bad but the passenger... You need to get creative. I was work I with a 20' coil at that point though so it was fun to pass it through. Looking back, I probably should have started at the passenger wheel week and ran it back to the abs controller.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 Ranger 4.0l 4x4, extended cab
I just did the brake line running from RABS module(by front U-joint) to rear fitting(above rear axle).
The fitting in the rear was 10mm threads, front was larger 11mm maybe, but not the same as rear.
3/16 tubing though.
Got the new line in the frame without having to remove anything, but the odd ball fittings caused a few trips to parts store, so took a few hours.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals