• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help on 2003 ranger rear drum brakes.

blackscrew04

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all.
Having a weird issue on just the Right rear of my 2 wheel drive ranger.
The ranger in question is a 2003 ford ranger, 2wd, 3.0 flex fuel with 10" brakes.

I purchased the correct wheel cylinders and ect for 10" brakes. double checked everything and everything is correct.
Basically I did the left rear and everything came apart and went together easily and fast.
Did the right rear drum brakes and thats another story, everything came apart easy and went together easy but when I have EVERYTHING together the top of the brake shoe connected to the ebrake lever moves away from the center shaft. (something is forcing it)
My ebrake cable seems fine... (dont really know how to test it)
everything is all in the correct slots and springs in the correct holes.
I ripped it apart and put it together 10 times, and even did the left rear side again just to see if I was doing something incorrectly. Left side goes together fine, everything lines right up and no issues.
Included is a pic of what happens when I get everything together on the right rear drum.
Let me know what to check, it seems like it has to be the ebrake cable causing this... but i am not sure, nor have i replaced a ebarke cable before.

Thanks for any help in this all.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When you open the bleeder you can't push that into place?

There is the "hand brake bar" just above axle that runs between shoes, has Red Spring, could it have moved and be in the way?

Pictures in this thread of both sides of rear brakes: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107818

On drum brakes right and left are mirror images, so parts are reversed from one side to the other

Last edited:

blackscrew04

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your reply.
I was thinking that the piece in the middle with the spring was not lined up in the slots correctly but it defitanly is. I did try opening the bleeder but this was also a new wheel cylinder and bleeder open or not it compressed in very easily.
I even on my last attempt removed the little spring to see if it would push on but it wont, something is forcing it up. if i push the one side down the other will move up. lol.

I even took the left side apart and swapped the shoes around to see if it was there was a issue with parts but that side lines up perfectly as usual.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Short shoe to the front
Long shoe at the back
Short and long references brake pad material

E-brake cable on long shoe, and in correct hole on shoe

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
that T shaped thing behind the springs is up-side-down.
the parking brake cable is probably seized, disconnect it from the arm and try again.
But I suppose you already fixed it during the last 3 weeks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals