• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake vibration problems...

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK - little history first. Just bought this '04 Ranger LT, V6 auto about 3 week ago, have been sorting out problems since. Truck is low mileage and very clean but had the usual and some unusual problems.

One that has me stumped right now is the vibration in the front brakes - I thought it was a warped rotor at the start. Not so. The pads were like 80% when I removed the fronts to check, I took the rotors down to have turned and they were warped but not bad. I understand this is not uncommon for trucks with steel wheels that have been over torqued. They cleaned up fine with .020 max. I still have the vibration or maybe best described as a pulsing. I removed the electrical plug to the ABS module and it did greatly improve the pulsing but not gone.

Any clues would be appreciated greatly. :dunno:

Last edited:

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you get any noises when you stop?? How do your wheel bearings feel?? What about the condition of your tires, are they properly balanced?

Are you sure this is coming from the front??

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you get any noises when you stop?? How do your wheel bearings feel?? What about the condition of your tires, are they properly balanced?

Are you sure this is coming from the front??
Funny you ask...today I had the brakes flushed and bled at my local Ford Dealer - not bad 55.00. He said he thought my vibrations were coming from the rear brakes after his test drive. I would not have thought that before but he said when he applied the emergency brake lightly he got some of the vibration I mentioned. He suggested new shoes and turn drums - $320.00.

I said thanks but no thanks - stopped at O'Reilly's and bought new shoes 23.00 on the way home. removed the rear drums both had some groves one worse than the other. I was able to get one cleaned up the other was shot. One turned 15.00 and one new 41.00 back together and vibrations gone. I am happy but would never have thought that was going to cure the problem.

I noticed the rear bearings were good but I did notice a notchy feel from the rear end - like spiders turning. I will have to watch to see if things go bad there.:D:D:D:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals